Dome lights stay on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

curtis-bob

Reaction score
Alright this is different one for me. I just got a 2019 Expedition. For some reason my dome lights stay on and after quite a while they eventually shut off. The thing that gets me is it is not all of the dome lights. Just the to above the back 2 doors. Not the center one in the back and no other lights stay on. Just those two.

Pushing the buttons to turn on and off those lights individually doesn't seem to make a difference. Turning on and off all lights with the buttons in front does not affect these lights when this happens. All doors sensors are working properly.

I just don't quite understand why just those two lights would do this while every other lights act correctly.

Any thoughts?

image98

Reaction score
I too have a 2019 Expedition and am experiencing the same issue with the lights mounted above the 2nd row doors. I have not been able to figure it out as well. Sometimes they even stay on while driving.

OP
OP
curtis-bob

curtis-bob

Reaction score
Just stumble across this one and it seems like they could figure it out either.

I am about to break out forscan any suggestions.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First thing you can do is to make sure that the button on the lights font turn it off. Second, I'd check for the button on the overhead control panel (aka the sunglasses holder) to make sure the automatic lights aren't on (automatic lights are when the doors open they turn on and when doors are closed they turn off). Thirdly, I'd check a fuse. Lastly, I'd just take it to a dealer and hopefully it's still under warranty.

OP
OP
curtis-bob

curtis-bob

Reaction score
The controls are currently off. This keeps the all the lights from turning on when the doors open.

If that is left on the 2nd row lights over both doors will turn on. Once on, nothing you do will turn them off. You just have to let them time out. All the other lights are under complete control of the light switch up front as well as the corisponding buttons by each lamp.

If you leave the control switch up by the sunglasses off and don't let them turn on when the doors open this problem does not arise.

Kirk Olsen in the thread I discovered after I posted. This describes it quite will.

So the lights can turn on otherwise I would look at fuses or light bulbs.

tmobes

Reaction score
I'm having a similar issue (2018 platinum). It seems to only happen when/after it rains.. the interior lights (front dome lights, 2nd row, and cargo) all stay on as I drive. I can push the button up front to manually turn them all off so at least I've got that option but it's annoying to have to constantly fiddle with it. If I just leave them on, eventually (like after several trips) they'll start to flicker and go out, and seems like if things dry out and stay dry the lights will function normally until the next rain, then they're on again.

I've only had the car for a few weeks - I think the last time it rained this ended up draining the battery down to the point I couldn't even jump it so really want to get it fixed before that happens again. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this? Took it to a shop to try and have them look at it, but of course by my scheduled appointment I couldn't recreate the issue...

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Start the car, get in, shut door and press their switch by the light off, then shut off and check it. The stupid switches are finicky and that's the only way my 18 will shut them off.

voelker21

Reaction score
Alright this is different one for me. I just got a 2019 Expedition. For some reason my dome lights stay on and after quite a while they eventually shut off. The thing that gets me is it is not all of the dome lights. Just the to above the back 2 doors. Not the center one in the back and no other lights stay on. Just those two.

Pushing the buttons to turn on and off those lights individually doesn't seem to make a difference. Turning on and off all lights with the buttons in front does not affect these lights when this happens. All doors sensors are working properly.

I just don't quite understand why just those two lights would do this while every other lights act correctly.

Any thoughts?
Did anyone figure this out? I have same problem 2019.