2nd Row Lamps won’t turn off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kirk Olson

Reaction score
Hey all, I just purchased a 2019 Expedition Max Limited and for some reason the 2nd row reading lamps won’t shut off. I have searched a bunch of forums and no one has a good answer. I’ve tried combinations of turning it on and locking and pushing buttons but for the life of me I can’t figure out how to get them off. I have somehow found the magic combination twice but when I unlock and drive it again they turn back on and don’t shut off.

Pushing the buttons on the lamps themselves or do anything and the master on off buttons don’t do anything for those ones either. All the other reading lamps function as they should except the 2 in the 2nd row.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Deep8174

Reaction score
Have you modified the ecu recently using forscan? I ask because once tried dark mode and had no idea it would deactivate the in-cabin lights. Couldnt figure out how to get the dome lights to turn on again until the dark mode was deactivated.

OP
OP
K

Kirk Olson

Reaction score
Have you modified the ecu recently using forscan? I ask because once tried dark mode and had no idea it would deactivate the in-cabin lights. Couldnt figure out how to get the dome lights to turn on again until the dark mode was deactivated.
Thanks for the response. I have not done any modifications to it yet. I just purchased it on Saturday and noticed the issue Sunday. Since they turn off after the 10 or 15 minute timer, I have turned off the toggle to allow them to turn on when a door opens for the time being until I get this figured out.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you tried turning the lights off with the doors closed? In other words, climb in the back seat, close the doors, and wait for the other lights to go out. Then push the buttons on the second row lights. But that doesn't explain why they turn back on automatically. There's also a button near the sunroof controls to turn all the cabin lights off. You could try toggling that if you haven't already.

OP
OP
K

Kirk Olson

Reaction score
Have you tried turning the lights off with the doors closed? In other words, climb in the back seat, close the doors, and wait for the other lights to go out. Then push the buttons on the second row lights. But that doesn't explain why they turn back on automatically. There's also a button near the sunroof controls to turn all the cabin lights off. You could try toggling that if you haven't already.
I have tried this as well. Once they turn on automatically and all the other lights go off, the buttons on the light themselves do nothing. However, the times that I have gotten them to go off the buttons work as they should. Same with the button that controls all the lights, if they are stuck in this on position, that button does not turn them off but if the times where the lights have been off that button works as it should.

Do you think there could be some sort of relay or module that controls these that is just not working as it should?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you started the car and got in back and shut them off?
Thats the only way I can sometimes get mine to stay off if the kids turn them on.

OP
OP
K

Kirk Olson

Reaction score
Thats the only way I can sometimes get mine to stay off if the kids turn them on.
I have tried this too. Gotten out of the car, locked the door and they were still on. Got back in, started it and tried to push the buttons to turn them off but they just stay on.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Got back in, started it and tried to push the buttons to turn them off but they just stay on

Not sure if you read @Deadman correctly. He was suggesting you start the car prior to getting in the back to shut off. Your reply suggests you didn't try that.
Also possible I got it wrong. LOL

OP
OP
K

Kirk Olson

Reaction score
Not sure if you read @Deadman correctly. He was suggesting you start the car prior to getting in the back to shut off. Your reply suggests you didn't try that.
Also possible I got it wrong. LOL
@Alwaysthinkin, Maybe I am misunderstanding as well. I got in the front seat, started the car and then waited for all the lights to go off and then reached in back to try the buttons. Are you thinking I should try the remote start? And then get in back, close the door and wait for the lights to go off and try the buttons?

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Alwaysthinkin, Maybe I am misunderstanding as well. I got in the front seat, started the car and then waited for all the lights to go off and then reached in back to try the buttons. Are you thinking I should try the remote start? And then get in back, close the door and wait for the lights to go off and try the buttons?

I can't reach the back buttons from the driver seat (haven't tried anyway). Never occurred to me that is what you did. It would seem that would accomplish the same thing as getting in the back. Hope you figure out the solution!