Downsize 2019 platinum rims to 18” or 20”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went from 22s down to 18s went with methods and put a 275/70/18 cooper stt pro tire on it since I sometimes offroad towing my SXS or camping. Speedo is off by like 2-3 mph since its about an inch taller tire than the stock but not a big deal.

The white sidewall lettering looks very sharp... I might do that to my winter rims/tires this summer when they're off the vehicle.

Also, if it bothers you enough, you can reprogram the speedometer/tire sizes in the computer using Forscan.

MartinB

Reaction score
I pulled my 20 inch from my 2015 expy and purchased a set of 18. cheaper tires and more flange if you do offroad. I am a hunter and fisherman and I go where very few people go in roads that are sometime very questionnable. So I wanted more sidewall to take on rocks and bumps along the way. if you deflate as 20 or 22 inch you will damage the wheel as soon has you hit a rock and damage them. personnaly 20 inch and 22 inch are street wheels unless you plan in putting a 35 inch tire on it... it all depend how you plan to use your expy. if you plan to use it mainly on the street then 20 is ok. I was debating going down to 17 but tire choice was getting hard. 20200820_173623.jpg

MartinB

Reaction score
Factory rim and tire sizes here: https://www.wheel-size.com/size/ford/expedition/2019/

To try non-factory sizes, and see the effect on your speedo, look here, click Alternative Sizes, click on More Wheel Sizes and choose the rim diamter you're interested in: https://tiresize.com/tires/Ford/Expedition/2019/Platinum

You are absolutely right this is a great website to find proper tire size for your truck.

The O/D of a stuck expy is around 31.9 inch to 32.1 inch depending on wheel combo and it has been there forever. keep in mind that th O/D of the tire is what will effect the odo on the truck. my cooper are 33.2 inch in O/D (275/70r18) and it effect my odo only 1 miles per hours (2 kilometer per hour ... sorry i am in Canada...) it is when you get in the 34 inch and higher that you start seeing a difference in speed. but you really don't want to do too big on an expy, the gearing is not the greatest for it so the fuel will get expensive quick plus you will loose power.

It is important to note that I have a 3 inch lift kit mounted on the truck in order to raise the tire size without rubbing.

Last edited:

KFordEx8

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
having seen the wheels up close, which are nice, it seems the spokes protrude out from the rim, so really need a wide tire like the OEM BF Goodrich tires.

What tires did you put on the raptor wheels?

Nitto Ridge Grappler 33x12.5R17.
Had them on my 2005 and swapped them over almost immediately.

They are probably the most aggressive All Terrain available right now. Noise level is a little more than an AT but not as loud as an MT.

So in the pic, the shop just finished installing the ReadyLift and tried to align it. With that tire wheel combo, there no lip for the wheel alignment attachment to grab onto. So I had to bring the original wheel down to the shop and they put them on for the alignment.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nitto Ridge Grappler 33x12.5R17.
Had them on my 2005 and swapped them over almost immediately.

They are probably the most aggressive All Terrain available right now. Noise level is a little more than an AT but not as loud as an MT.

So in the pic, the shop just finished installing the ReadyLift and tried to align it. With that tire wheel combo, there no lip for the wheel alignment attachment to grab onto. So I had to bring the original wheel down to the shop and they put them on for the alignment.

Any clearance issues with that 17” Raptor wheel? Is it a bead lock wheel?
Also , with the new setup and ReadyLift, did you need to trim any wheel well liner? Or step boards?

Mac Attack

Reaction score
Hi, I live in New England and want to ditch my 22 inch Platinum rims for a tire with more profile and more of an all season set up. I also off road on a beach and will be airing down. I understand you can break the bead on low profile tires when airing down with low sidewalls. My question is, should I go to 18” rims or 20”? And are there ramifications for the speedometer or other electronics? I have a 2019 Platinum Expedition. Also happy to take tire recommendations. Thanks.

T

I like the look of your Platinum wheels but wanted a smaller 20" diameter too.

This is what I just did:
https://www.expeditionforum.com/posts/436884/