Drive Control Malfunction after car wash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Buy a motorhome. More comfort and better mileage. Even pulling a dingy.

Have one, it gets the same mileage as it has the V-10. Unless I need a place to stay the Expy is way more comfortable to travel in. And it can’t launch the boat without a good shallow concert ramp. The Superduty get-13-14 if I wanted better mileage, but it rides like a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Bandroid

Reaction score
So my truck is back to normal. It took like 1 week to get the sensor and another for them to replace it. The left front wheel speed sensor was damaged. They mention not to pressure wash undercarriage or wheels.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You've got to be kidding me. Don't pressure wash the undercarriage or wheels? That's horse shit. Next they'll complain if you get too much build up on stuff and you have malfunctions because of it. If these things are built so you cant take them through a car wash (which most carwashes do undercarriage spray), they sure as hell aren't SUV's (or at least the parts used to build them are the same quality/durability you might find on say a Focus). That really frustrates me. Also, if that's the case, then they need some warning labels not to wash your car.

Last edited:

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So my truck is back to normal. It took like 1 week to get the sensor and another for them to replace it. The left front wheel speed sensor was damaged. They mention not to pressure wash undercarriage or wheels.

on what planet is this acceptable!

this “top tier” truck company has dealerships tell their flagship suv owners “don’t pressure wash the undercarriage & wheels...”.

ok, i guess just let the undercarriage rust out halfway through my extended warranty then?

i mean - seriously. for any of us who own vehicles for longevity, this IS horseshit.

my ‘01 6sp manual audi allroad has 245k miles on it, completely original except for doing the struts ONCE (yes once) and replacing the alternator @150k. has air suspension, sensors galore for the time - i religiously (and carefully) washed the undercarriage & wheel wells / struts after any winter driving, & i am quite sure it was a key point to it’s longevity in general on the underside.

to say don’t pressure wash the engine bay, ok. but “don’t pressure wash the undercarriage” is such a joke. no words for that.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ABS has been around since the 50's and 60's, went more mainstream in the 80's/90's and became std. requirements in 2013 in the US. So essentially, vehicles have had wheel speeds sensors of some form throughout that. And now they can't stand a carwash? As @lv2drive said, I too have had vehicles with things like air suspensions, etc and never had issues with sensors, and I too have always taken great care with keeping the undercarriage clean. I used to put cars on off-axis ramps so I could clean the undercarriage thoroughly after offroading, etc. If that's a real response, maybe we should involve NHTSA, as to me that means they aren't safe to begin with.

Plati

Reaction score
I routinely train the hose on the underside of the vehicle ... definitely hitting the "back" of each wheel from the opposite side. I guess this makes me think a bit BUT a garden hose with 50 psi water pressure from 5 feet away is not a pressure wash from 1 foot distance kind of power so I'll assume I'm ok. Never had an issue. Shouldn't have said that -- DOH

jimz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A 2013 Soul is a better car than a 2008 Expedition and about same mileage. Trying to figure who to dump the Ford on. Hard choices.

We drove through a Florida down pour and spray got under hood. Computer bonkers. Road spray soaks motor and can't be stopped. Does not take a pressure washer to do water damage.