"Drive Control Malfunction" code on screen!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oklahoma Jim

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same message come up the other day. The dash also looked like a pinball machine with flashing lights. It turned out to be caused by a bad battery with an "intermittent bad cell".

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same message come up the other day. The dash also looked like a pinball machine with flashing lights. It turned out to be caused by a bad battery with an "intermittent bad cell".
Love that - "pinball machine".

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bad strut actually sounds believable. Th crazy thing tho is it ONLY does it when its below 0 F. Once it warms up, it NEVER throws the code. When it was 2 weeks old it also did this exact same thing on a bitter cold morning!

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They found a wiring issue on the front left strut. They greased the connector.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Salesman drove it home to me and the message came back on of course.....
They're calling ford tomorrow to see how to proceed. Either an electronic module or a new strut.....

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Salesman drove it home to me and the message came back on of course.....
They're calling ford tomorrow to see how to proceed. Either an electronic module or a new strut.....

DOH! at least they can't argue they can't reproduce the issue then. Begs the question then, did the tech that "fixed" it even road test?

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
DOH! at least they can't argue they can't reproduce the issue then. Begs the question then, did the tech that "fixed" it even road test?

Yep, it was road tested and the salesman that ran it home didn't fire it up until 6pm to drive home and the service guys were long gone for the day.... I have the warranty slip saying it was road tested. It only acts up when the temp is below zero. They serviced it during the day and it was a little warmer and it doesn't throw the code in the warmer temps. its weird.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting. So most materials shrink when they get super cold, wonder if there isn't enough contact between two points to remain in contact in your recent temps.

We used to have similar issues when using taps while installing alarms and stereos, super cold temps here would cause sensors to trigger as an open circuit. Our only option was to solder the connection.

Glad they tested it, lately I've experienced issues where they don't.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just another thought. We occasionally have to do cold test at work for new products. Occasionally some electronic components won’t turn on due to chip or capacitor performance in the cold. Maybe they could check the CANbus during the cold and ensure all the modules are still talking.