"Drive Control Malfunction" code on screen!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They claim the strut has not blown as far as leak it oil, or seals fail. The strut itself is healthy, BUT the magnets inside the strut that the computer uses to change the shock valving has failed to communicate with the computer, so the computer can't alter the shock valving as you change drive modes. So they are replacing the left front strut. I offered to buy the right front strut so I had a new "pair" but the right front strut is unavailable from ford right now and has no expected availability date. How annoying. Was gonna cost me $700 to do it.....
They said if it handles poorly or differently, they will get Ford to put the right front in it as well. It was -23F this morning and the code came again of course. Supposed to stay cold until after they sway the strut, maybe if I'm lucky the right front will then trip the code and I'll get a right front under warranty as well. lol

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a really interesting outcome. There are many folks on here that have failed shocks for a long time until they find leaks. So I'm curious how and why it might trigger this notice for shocks.
Platinum uses magnetic shocks with adjustable dampers. Drove control will soften or stiffen the shocks based on drive mode (i.e. they stiffen up in Sport mode). Dealer noticed electrical issues in the shock so they replaced it.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Platinum uses magnetic shocks with adjustable dampers. Drove control will soften or stiffen the shocks based on drive mode (i.e. they stiffen up in Sport mode). Dealer noticed electrical issues in the shock so they replaced it.

Exactly