Drivetrain growl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jphill5688

Reaction score
I bought 2018 expedition with hd tow and 3.73 differential 6 months ago 43000 miles. Now noticing a growl or loud hum. Worse at low speeds about 1200 rpm. 10 speed transmission. Otherwise works fine. Plan to have it checked out next week. Any thoughts?

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
TRIM LEVEL(model type) 4x4 or 4x2?

Check fluid levels in front/rear diffs. Jack up front/rear & manually turn wheels to see if noise is coming from hub bearing or brake area

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jphill5688

Jphill5688

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. Model is xlt 4x4. Unfortunately I’m not able to do what you suggested. Hopefully l will be able to ask more intelligent questions when I take it in. Didn’t notice this growl or hum when I purchased car 6 months ago. I have been towing a dump trailer quite a lot. Thought the transmission “learned” a different routine. I reset transmission with forscan. No change. I’ll post what the shop finds.

OP
OP
Jphill5688

Jphill5688

Reaction score
Dealership checked car yesterday. Said it leaking vacuum caps of iwe system. Today they found metal in front diff fluid. At least one bearing was shot. Gears were ok. Waiting to have front differential bearings replaced.

OP
OP
Jphill5688

Jphill5688

Reaction score
Differential bearings were replaced. Car still made the noise. Left front wheel bearing was replaced. Car still made the noise. Right front wheel bearing was replaced. Solved the problem! On the road again!!

DJAucutt

Reaction score
Shout out to Hollingsworth-Richards Ford in Baton Rouge. My 2018 Ex-Max (53K) was growling. They replaced both front wheel bearings under the power train warranty (expires at 60K). They tried to convince me to have the front brakes serviced (I suppose they hoped I would agree to pay for something). However, I refused, as that is a fairly easy Saturday morning maintenance task.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357