Ecoboost spark plug change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What a PITA! 34k miles on my 17 EL. I'm running a 5* performance/tow tune (87 octane), so decided to change out my plugs for a good baseline since I just bought the truck certified pre owned last month. I watched the YouTube videos to make sure there weren't any gotchas, seemed pretty straightforward.

I've done 3 spark plug changes on the 5.4 and one on the 5.0 in the F150, and this ecoboost puts them all to shame. Getting the cops to release their death grip on the spark plugs without breaking them nearly took herculean strength and cussing like a sailor. Even with a short prybar (drum brake adjustment tool), it was not easy and I'm no small fry. I did the drivers side first, then moved to the passenger side. The two rear cops on the passenger side came out without the boots! How in the world do you get them out of the spark plug hole without damaging them? I ended up snapping the coil packs back on and putting it back together in disgust. I'll have to order new boots before I attempt those two plugs since I'm sure I'll destroy them getting them out.

I did this on a completely cold motor BTW, and not my first rodeo working on cars or changing spark plugs. The 5.4 is a pain but more a challenge to reach them but at least they all came apart easily. The cops on the ecoboost were designed by Satan himself. The 5.0 plugs can be changed in your sleep with one hand behind your back.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even with a short prybar (drum brake adjustment tool), it was not easy and I'm n

I've got to admit....this is a first for me...kudos' to the ingenuity! I usually grip tightly after removing oil film with a cutter...then twist while pushing down then up very quickly....works for me....seems to gain some motion combined with momentum...doesn't even rip the boots!

I've just turned over 41K and have thought about going ahead and doing them just for sh*ts a& grins.....what plugs did you use?

jeff

PS. I don't miss the 5.4's either....triple universals and all!

OP
OP
C

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The coil packs sit down in recesses in the valve cover so they cannot be rotated, must be pulled straight up which is the problem. I put stock plugs back in, the gap on the ones I removed were nearly identical to the new ones (pre gapped to .030). I didn't notice a difference in power and was already getting decent mpg for this size of vehicle (averaging 15-16mpg in mostly town driving). I just wanted new plugs because I'll be towing the camper a bunch and am running a very mild towing tune. I'm going to make a boot removal tool out of some aluminum or metal tubing once the new boots arrive in case I destroy them on removal.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From what I heard the 3.5 is super easy compared to the older engines. Sucks you had such a hard time

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I heard the 3.5 is super easy compared to the older engines. Sucks you had such a hard time

The 3.5 are definetly easier to change than the 5.4. 04-08 5.4s have a wild spaceship plug that was originally a 3 piece that could break but the new ones sold don’t.... late 08 plus have a regular plug after the head change.... it’s time consuming but not too bad. Top is the newer plug bottom is what I have:
D80EFD80-17C3-48D6-8407-CE0D8D63B9CD.jpeg

Last edited:

rdlangston13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m gonna be tackling this on our 2015 tonight. We have 58,000 miles and probably 10-15% of that is towing fairly heavy. The fuel mileage has seemed to drop off a little lately so I’m hoping this will fix it. I went ahead and ordered the new boots with the plugs. This is what I bought. 7b1b31a7194b76a3575b9ba27f773031.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m gonna be tackling this on our 2015 tonight. We have 58,000 miles and probably 10-15% of that is towing fairly heavy. The fuel mileage has seemed to drop off a little lately so I’m hoping this will fix it. I went ahead and ordered the new boots with the plugs. This is what I bought. 7b1b31a7194b76a3575b9ba27f773031.jpg

That was my project today on the 07’, was not difficult at all..... good luck on the tune up, always feels better to have everything fresh.
254CF336-E53B-4667-9E57-F6424BAA7B81.jpeg
4BE17AF8-3005-4ABB-8173-541F56BE806E.jpeg

rdlangston13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That was my project today on the 07’, was not difficult at all..... good luck on the tune up, always feels better to have everything fresh.
View attachment 25541
View attachment 25542

Thanks. Got to get her running like a top since are going to be towing 7,000 lbs trailer from Houston to Hot Springs and back in a week with 6 people in the car.

OP
OP
C

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I Googled it after putting everything back together, and it turns out lots of F150 owners have had this same problem. Not many ecoboost expeditions rolling around so not as widespread of a reported issue.

I hope your change goes easier than mine, there is a tool specifically designed to remove the coil pack boot, it's like 30 bucks. You can diy it if you have a piece of thin walled aluminum or steel tubing slightly bigger than the ceramic of the spark plug. Sharpen the edges on the end and gently push it through the center of the boot and around the ceramic plug, then pull out and the boot comes with it.