EcoBoosts, Fuel, Octane, Ethanol and Tuning...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
Balderdash! Ethanol is an octane enhancer. It's use began after MTBE was banned. Stations in my area sell 93 octane with 10% ethanol. I use it in my Lincoln 32V V8. Octane sole purpose in anti spark knock. Lack of spark knock allows maximum timing(max power). 93 octane is 93, no matter what fuel. There is a push against future E15 sales. The current E10 mandate, is considered the highest that should be run. Ethanol absorbs water. Oil water/fuel mixing is a bad thing.
You are wrong about the Balderdash part. That's ok. Not everyone knows and understands everything. Combustion Engineering is a fairly complicated topic. If you have the means and are interested, take some time to try to understand what the point is. Thats worked for me in the past. It's kind of interesting when you dig into topics and find out they are 5 layers deep. Another thing thats funny is (for older folks) ... who learnt or were taught things as a youth and haven't kept up with the times and new info. I've been caught by that!

Why do open wheel racing cars use almost pure Ethanol?
See if you can find an answer to that.
Homework assignment!!

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
You are wrong about the Balderdash part. That's ok. Not everyone knows and understands everything. Combustion Engineering is a fairly complicated topic. If you have the means and are interested, take some time to try to understand what the point is. Thats worked for me in the past. It's kind of interesting when you dig into topics and find out they are 5 layers deep. Another thing thats funny is (for older folks) ... who learnt or were taught things as a youth and haven't kept up with the times and new info. I've been caught by that!

Why do open wheel racing cars use Ethanol? See if you can find an answer to that.
My friend uses ethanol in his vintage 440 drag strip car. My brother in law used it in his drag boat. They buy it in 55 gal drums. The main reason for using it is price. !00+ octane race fuel is almost $10/gal. Ethanol is around 110 octane and around $2/gal.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jeep just announced the V8(6.4l 392) is back in the Wrangler. They choose today, the day the Bronco is released. Wanna bet Ford puts the V8 in the Expedition and future Bronco. Hey Lokiwolf please post a video, actually pumping E50 in your 2020(that only allows only E15). Then drive it 20mi and lets see if you get a CEL. PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH.

The new Bronco’s got the EcoBoost today. Jeep can keep the 6.4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fjet

Reaction score
:Stupid Me: I know call on me teacher!

Higher compression ratios need higher octane. Alcohol fuel mixtures also cool the air charge creating a more dense air charge. Turbo engines benefit from both.

Plati

Reaction score
My friend uses ethanol in his vintage 440 drag strip car. My brother in law used it in his drag boat. They buy it in 55 gal drums. The main reason for using it is price. !00+ octane race fuel is almost $10/gal. Ethanol is around 110 octane and around $2/gal.
thats all fine and good but the combustion engineering properties of ethanol are not based on how much your friend or bro wants to spend on fuel.

over my head : https://www.researchgate.net/public...injection_in_a_gasoline_port_injection_engine

Last edited:
OP
OP
LokiWolf

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
thats all fine and good but the combustion engineering properties of ethanol are not based on how much your friend or bro wants to spend on fuel.

Please don’t use Science and facts. Neither works for him. He just likes misinformation and incorrect assumptions. He will not understand, been trying for months. I refuse to try anymore.

Nice article! Look at that...science.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Plati

Reaction score
:Stupid Me: I know call on me teacher!

Higher compression ratios need higher octane. Alcohol fuel mixtures also cool the air charge creating a more dense air charge. Turbo engines benefit from both.
you probably run ethanol in your snowmobile doing hillclimbs at Brantling

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Please don’t use Science and facts. Neither works for him. He just likes misinformation and incorrect assumptions. He will not understand, been trying for months. I refuse to try anymore.

Nice article! Look at that...science.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Are you talking about race cars or expeditions? You know the ones, Ford says no more than E15 max.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4-banger Eco boost...eewwwuuu.

2.7 is available, but I’m sure you missed that looking at your 2020 Expy fuel requirements. Don’t worry it’s a V6 and runs great. Just so you don’t have to google it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69