Electrical BS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
4whlmama

4whlmama

Reaction score
So, hows your truck now? Still not starting? Willl it crank?

It was the alternator. Completely dead! I just replaced it 3 years ago! Needless to say when I purchased the last one, I elected to save $30 and purchase the one with only a 1 year warranty. Plus, I as going to trade up and go with a newer Expo with the V-6 ecoboost. Obviously, I still haven't done that. I get a ton of compliments on my beastly. Plus she's paid for and I really do love this Triton V-8! Don't like the gas mileage, but she don't ever need to step aside to get out 9f someone's way! Even with a heavy haul! So anyway....I paid the extra money and my new alternator has a lifetime warranty. Probably a better choice since I also run a pretty heavy audio system!

However...my mechanical saga continues! Just discovered that my intake manifold has a "tuning" bolt. This may be the issue since I recently replaced it. The long drawn out 8 months of a nightmare is posted in one of my previous threads of you want to read the book I wrote about it. Lol

Current issue...the miss in the motor. Since replacing the alternator, it hasn't thrown a code yet, but the miss is definately still there. I have put over 100 miles on it since. No miss when it's cold and not really at idol after it's warmed up. No loss of power. The miss is present at an idled speed. Mostly higher speeds. The other day she went about 30 miles on the freeway before I felt a single miss and that was after I exited the freeway and was slowing to stop at a light. At this point I'm gonna have the full detailed diagnostic run and go from there. I am pretty confident that it has to do with the intake. Of you have ever replaced the intake manifold, you understand. I have had the upper side of the motor torn down 4 times for this single repair! After she was finally fixed, she seemed to run great with the exception a rattle noise that sounds like a possible bent pulley or bearing. At first I wondered if it could have been the water pump, but that has been checked out and all good...I think. Never overheated it and never broke serpentine belt and I have kept up on maintenance. I am not the first owner, but she was only 4 years old when I bought her. I would be someone you would want to buy a vehicle from! I won't even run my ride through a car wash!

I think it's time that I bite the bullet and let her go. One of my daughter's is 19 and just got her license. She us a non she's had a little over a year now as the lical taxidermists assistant. She really wants a highboy, but if I can get this beast dialed in, she will get it.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well good for you. Sometimes old things get cranky once in a while. Just keep up the maintenance and you and your beast will ride many sunsets together.

OP
OP
4whlmama

4whlmama

Reaction score
Sorry I'm posting updates like a year later. I just haven't been online. Taking care of life and the snowball of challenges it has brought. Anyway, here I am now. So the update on this issue was in fact my alternator. After driving it 50 miles when I got it restarted and back on the road. I went to visit my mom and later that evening I went to put gas in it before gettimg on the highway to head home, as I pulled into the gas station I noticed my headlights were dim. I looked down at the dash and they were dim and the battery gauge read that my battery was very low. I didn't even get gas. I just turned around in the parking lot and headed back to my mom's. I landed up staying the night and the next day the tests told me my alternator fried! Aftermarket competition grade audio is my culprate.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I want to know what the heck is a intake manifold tuning bolt? Does it make the mixture richer or leaner. How do you adjust it! Is it metric or Saw thread?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Damn, my phone said saw! Not Sae, and I checked it.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I saw saw too! This thread is making me chuckle. Thanks Henry, I needed that. Don't worry 4 wheel mama, most posts are all mechanical, and kinda boring, this one made me smile. Were just having fun!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bedrck 47 would have a field day with this post. His spirits here though!