Electrical issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sonora

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2003 expedition. Previous owner said brake lights weren't working. Come to find out the whole rear end isn't working. No rear blinkers not even when Hazzard are on. Hatch won't open. 3rd row seats won't go down. Brake lights wont illuminate while braking. Can anyone help me please I've done my best to fix problem. I've ran out of ideas

OP
OP
S

Sonora

Reaction score
First thing I did was buy the repair manual. I've checked fuses, relays, changed brake switch, re-grounded the thick red ground on positive post on battery. I bought new bulbs but haven't figured out how to change them sence lift gate won't open. I've taken off alot of paneling to see if I could find open wiring or something of that sort. I've fixed alot of splicing done by previous owner. I've been under vehicle to look at that wiring. I know previous owner had a trailer brake installed said to be done by a professional but I doubt it with what wiring looked like on drivers side

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You lost me at "regrounded the thick red ground on the positive battery post". Surely that is not what you meant?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the 2003 is like the 2001, problems with the rear hatch are usually mechanical problems related to a couple pull cables that fail. If you remove the inside lower plastic from within the car, you can manually work the latch and get the hatch open. Not easy but you can find a video on how to do it. Then change those bulbs. Do you have a multi meter? Without it, having the manual is useless.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Make sure your Expy had the cruise control modification. It is a short jumper with resistor molded in line between one of the sensors on the master cylinder and the cable harness. Those vehicles without the mode were prone to fires.

JB1258

Reaction score
I have a 2004 and I have had similar problems but to change out the tail light bulbs you do need to get the hatch open so don't go crazey trying to figure out the )$ has major problems with the electrical I have 140000 on mine and it is one thing after another

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Platinum Expy