Electrical Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are two fuses to the alternator that should be checked also. See attached diagram.

Attachments

• 012-001.pdf
    62.2 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
bigwick70

bigwick70

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are two fuses to the alternator that should be checked also. See attached diagram.

I think i know the two youre refering to. The two on the firewall i was talking about earlier, or actually there are three there, near the solenoid and battery, (Altenator Megafuse-175 amp), and (Alternator field minifuse-20 amp). Do i check them with the OLMS on my meter to see if their making a circut? Or?

Also what i was calling the solenoid is actually the Starter Relay... My fault. sorry...

Well its late in the hills my friend. Talk to you tomorrow...

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Disconnect the battery, set meter to ohms and place one lead on one side of the fuse and the other lead on the other side. An infinite or "ol" means the fuse is blown.

OP
OP
bigwick70

bigwick70

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Disconnect the battery, set meter to ohms and place one lead on one side of the fuse and the other lead on the other side. An infinite or "ol" means the fuse is blown.

Ok i checked both 175 amp and the small 20 amp and they're all reading.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Next step would be to take the alt out and have it tested. A good shop will be able to tell you output voltage and amp output. If you go to Autozone or the like they may not know what you are looking for and may have to read the values yourself. If they only have a green light for passing then cross your fingers.

OP
OP
bigwick70

bigwick70

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If i am understanding the diagram and mechanics correct, (Just me thinking here and trying to understand), with the key switch not putting power to the starter and when i bridge over the starter relay and it does, it has to be a starter relay gone bad because it is the only mechanism that allows the power to be bridged between the key and the starter and having that function. Also the interior fuse 21 (Starter Relay, Junction Box Fuse #20) keeps blowing. That is telling me something is blowing that fuse because it is grounded inside the Starter Relay. Feel free to correct me. I have just enough inteligence on this to get me into trouble lol...

The Alternator or the battery one has to be bad also. Will get both tested tomorrow when the auto parts opens.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fuse can be blowing due to a failed ignition switch if your referring to diagram 013-006 fuse 21. Other areas of trouble have been the harness in the steering column. Try adjusting the tilt wheel to a different position and see if the fuse blows.
You may consider getting a circuit breaking instead of blowing a bunch of fuses.
When does the fuse blow?
When you replace it or when you turn the key?

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigwick70

bigwick70

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fuse can be blowing due to a failed ignition switch if your referring to diagram 013-006 fuse 21. Other areas of trouble have been the harness in the steering column. Try adjusting the tilt wheel to a different position and see if the fuse blows.
You may consider getting a circuit breaking instead of blowing a bunch of fuses.
When does the fuse blow?
When you replace it or when you turn the key?

It only blows when i hit the key. Am not sure if the alternator i putting out the wrong voltage, what should it be reading at the lugg on the alternator?
Going right now to get a new relay and get the alternator tested... ill holler back and let you know how that goes.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should test the starter relay before swapping in a new one.
Charging voltage should run from 13.5 to 14.1v depending on the vr.

OP
OP
bigwick70

bigwick70

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well been kinda busy this week and not had much time for working on the truck but i did manage to swap out the relay for a new one. That was the problem with the ignition. All guages ETC are working norman now.
The alternator isnt charging though. I cant get a reading from it at all. Going to start on that now. :)
Oh and i charged the battery 3 days ago and its still charged so it is still good...
the starter relay fuse didnt blow this time and the truck starts from the ignition also...

Last edited: