Electronic parking brake engaging on its own

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hosseface

Reaction score
Hello -

2018 Expedition Max Limited 4x4 - The electronic parking brake is engaging on its own.

Anyone else have this issue? It doesn't auto release when you hit the gas, you have to manually press it to turn it off.

Most every morning it is on when I go to the garage. Randomly in drive thrus or anythime it is running and sitting still the engages itself.

Any help?

Per usual, Ford service was clueless.

Thanks.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Makes me wonder if something with the automatic emergency braking is malfunctioning. The electronic parking brake engages when automatic emergency braking brings the vehicle to a complete stop.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From the manual; The electric parking brake may apply when
you shift to park (P) without the brake
pedal fully pressed. The electric parking
brake applies when you shift to park (P)
on large slopes.

It should release when you apply accelerator in gear. Also to release automatically, the door must be closed.

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It also auto applies once the car senses its not on level ground, my mild (3 degree maybe?) driveway is enough to make the parking brake auto engage if the rear is loaded or I have a full quota of passengers but doesn't if I am in the car on my own.

Release doesn't seem to happen as soon as you touch the gas, it seems to me to be either a revs or pressure built type of deal. Bit like the hill start hold feature where you have to have given enough gas for the car to be sure you wont roll back

Gary Martina

Reaction score
Hi, I have been researching about my 2018 Ford Expedition Max. I saw this thread and noticed that you are having the same issue as me. The electronic parking brake engaging. Mine engaging is very consistent, been to the Ford dealership in Tallahassee Fl five times already, still they are clueless. I cant get any help with this issue, I'm about to send out emails to Ford! Anyone else having this problem, please give some information. Thanks

ATHOLLE

Reaction score
only the Parking Brake kicks on automatically when on a incline and i would think also when on a decline.
If you are on a flat parking spot it wont go on. When we park on the inclined part of our driveway each day it goes on. Its not a problem is a safety feature.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are on a flat parking spot it wont go on.
Not necessarily...if you throw the vehicle into park or shut it off before it has come to an absolute and complete stop, or if your foot is not firmly on the brake pedal when you shift into park, the parking brake will also come on automatically.

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's not a bad thing. The parking brake will also disengage automatically when you put the vehicle in gear and begin to press the accelerator (gas pedal).

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
only the Parking Brake kicks on automatically when on a incline and i would think also when on a decline.
If you are on a flat parking spot it wont go on. When we park on the inclined part of our driveway each day it goes on. Its not a problem is a safety feature.

It also takes the stress off the transmission parking pawl as well.

Last edited:

ErnFrenchie

Reaction score
I have had nothing but problems with my 2018 Expedition. I actually had to have it towed back to the dealership the day after I bought it and the main computer had to be replaced. All the other issues are very minor, but annoying. This auto brake issue is the only issue that myself or the dealership are unable to reproduce. I have kept a log where have I documented the time of day, weather and incline or decline if any. Sometimes it goes on automatically daily, sometimes just once a week or so. There has been months that went by with no issue at all. There is zero consistency to this issue.