Engine Backfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue_roster_cult

Reaction score
I have a 2018 approaching 150k. I have a bad backfire (gunshot) after filling up with fuel. I do not top off the tank, and last time I got fuel I stopped a few gallons short. The back fire actually broke the muffler internally.

Couple things: my cats are removed and the sensors turned off for reasons I posted elsewhere. Car has been like this for a few months without issue. Also, I have an o2 sensor that throws a code off and on. But this code also preceded the backfire issue.

Again, this only happens after fueling up. Any thoughts?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try getting your air/fuel and exhaust temp data from the ECU. If your cats are off, maybe the vehicle is not seeing something it expects to see and is running rich?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is it tuned, or just stock tuning with the sensors turned off? What ever is causing the post detonation is going to break something more than the muffler if it continues. It is probably doing it more than when you fuel, but things are hot, because, well you drove to the gas station causing the post detonation.

OP
OP
blue_roster_cult

blue_roster_cult

Reaction score
Seems to be a common issue with Raptors and 150s

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Interesting!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, saying it is common is a LARGE jump. 1 dude with a Coyote powered 150, and a few Raptors. Would not call that even vaguely "common". The 150 forum guy never posted a solution. Neither did the raptor guys really. I have been driving Expeditions and on these forums since 2016, other Fords before that. I also run around on the 150 forums, cause well I own one. Never had seen this before.

One mention was of O2 sensors detecting incorrectly. Since yours are turned off completely that could contribute. Seems it could be fuel vapor separator and canister purge valve related also. If those aren't operating as expected. Sounds like a few paths to go down.

OP
OP
blue_roster_cult

blue_roster_cult

Reaction score
Two more threads (no solutions):

apex96

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is not a common issue at all. If you've removed your cats and O2 sensors, and have not tuned for such your vehicle is more than likely trying to compensate by dumping fuel into the intake track. The ECU will default to running rich as a way try and prevent a lean condition from severely damaging the engine. Take it to a proper tuning shop and have them create a customs mapping that takes into consideration the modifications you’ve made.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Not common at all. Like @apex96 said, take it to get tuned since it is going to run rich.

OP
OP
blue_roster_cult

blue_roster_cult

Reaction score
This is not a common issue at all. If you've removed your cats and O2 sensors, and have not tuned for such your vehicle is more than likely trying to compensate by dumping fuel into the intake track. The ECU will default to running rich as a way try and prevent a lean condition from severely damaging the engine. Take it to a proper tuning shop and have them create a customs mapping that takes into consideration the modifications you’ve made.
Thanks. Again, this ONLY happens after a fuel-up. What’s the correlation with the tune?