Engine Rattle/Knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 07 has been doing this at random only at startup since I bought it two years ago. The last two times its been in for service, I've asked them to look at it. They say "couldnt' reproduce" but does it as soon as I go to leave or "oh, thats normal." My warranty is almost up and I am looking for thoughts. I keep thinking that it has something to do with the phasers but it sounds so much like a rod knock most time.

Ford says this is normal - YouTube

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you using the correct weight oil? Sounds like something is bleeding down when off, stops when oil is present. You can't mistake a rod knock
- sends chills down your spine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its been getting Mobil1 Full Syn in whatever the recommended weight is. Ford dealer has recommended this filter and that filter... none make any difference. There's been times when I'll start it a minute after shutting it down and it'll do it. The most odd part is that it acts like its got a electronic oil pump. If I just stick the key in and start it cold, it'll knock the majority of the time. If I let it sit with the key on for a few seconds before starting it, its less common.

OP
OP
B

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sounds like phasers. Which is not normal.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

Thanks for backing up my suspicion. Guess I have yet another warranty claim to make. Fortunately for me... my complaint should be on the last two service files... here's to hoping they don't try to bend me over for another deductible.

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FWIW I've run 5w-20 and 5w-30 and noticed no difference between them. I run a Motorcraft filter as well. Make sure they check the VCT solenoids as well. The screens can get clogged and cause issues.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

OP
OP
B

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried 20 and 30 as well and noticed no difference either. Is it normal for the phaser noise to be as random as it is in my case? I can let the damn thing sit for a week and it won't rattle. Drive it and park it for 15 minutes and then start it again and it rattles.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah. That's how it started in our 06 GT. It would come and go. Eventually it was always there and we had to swap them out.

nauti1

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. Changed the oil filter (different brands) and that didn't fix it. I've read things on the cam phasers and the vct solenoids, even read stuff on chain tensioners causing this noise. I just would like know what is exactly causing this so I can fix once. Man I just hate throwing money at it changing parts and praying that that's going fix it.