Engine Shuttering / Check Engine Blinking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoos95

Reaction score
I am experiencing engine shuddering usually on acceleration or uphill. Also, when I gun it (rarely) the car hesitates and the check engine light blinks rapidly. If it’s not caused by bad spark plugs/coil packs, could it be the torque converter in the transmission?

2007 EL Eddie Bauer approaching 350,000 miles

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You'll need to plug into data port and run codes. You most likely have a shorted out coil or sparkplug or 2. Don't drive it like this though. You'll burn out the catalytic converters.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
Update:

Had the spark plugs and coil packs replaced - no improvement. Idle is often rough too. Any suggestions as to what would cause this? I’m thinking of cleaning the MAF sensor and throttle body.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Moose had a good idea to check the codes. check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. If you want to get a @stamp11127 of approval around here you got to stop throwing parts at it and do some diagnostics. As you test, post the results here and Members can lead you in the right direction.

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like what I just went thru. Take it to an exhaust shop and have backpressure tested. My wife had to drive ours while I was trying to diagnose it, (plugs, coils, trans fluid and filter) causing a cat converter to go bad. The shop I took it to did the backpressure test for free and $330 to replace drivers side cc. Dude said the cat looked like cottage cheese inside. Recommended I have fuel system checked due to strong fuel smell. I wish I had gone to exhaust shop sooner rather than later. But now I have new coils and plugs. Runs awesome again.

OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
Sounds like what I just went thru. Take it to an exhaust shop and have backpressure tested. My wife had to drive ours while I was trying to diagnose it, (plugs, coils, trans fluid and filter) causing a cat converter to go bad. The shop I took it to did the backpressure test for free and $330 to replace drivers side cc. Dude said the cat looked like cottage cheese inside. Recommended I have fuel system checked due to strong fuel smell. I wish I had gone to exhaust shop sooner rather than later. But now I have new coils and plugs. Runs awesome again.
Thank you dromofo, I'll definitely consider that if I can't solve this soon.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Reminds me of a quote from the "Cool Hand Luke" movie. "What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some people you just cain't reach. And you get what we've got here today....."

What part is next?

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Must be nice to get a converter done for $300, here in NY it’s more like $2,000....

OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
UPDATE #2:

Connected a scanner tool and nothing showed up. The Innova scanner detected nothing: no current or stored codes, and nothing with the Ford specified scan.

Cleaned the MAF sensor (dirty) and throttle body (heavy carbon build-up) - did not fix issue.

Going back to when the spark plugs were replaced, there was no improvement. A few hours passed and the engine drove really rough. Took it back to the mechanic who did the plugs and he said there was a bad fuel injector. He replaced it and the roughness of the engine improved, but was similar to before he replaced the plugs. Engine is still pretty rough with a rough idle and hesitation. After taking the car to replace the plugs and bad injector, driving it at highway speeds now feels extremely rough in terms of smoothness of ride, similar to over-inflated tires and a stiff suspension.

As of now, I'm planning to replace the remaining fuel injectors this weekend (and possibly fuel pressure test) and go from there.

Also: I had the catalytic converters replaced a while ago and the mechanic (different mechanic) made a poor connection from the new converter to the manifold, which has resulted over time into pretty loud and smelly exhaust leak - sounds like a go-kart. Is there a possibility that this exhaust leak is also causing the engine shuttering, etc. symptoms?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
While you're replacing stuff, don't forget the timing chains, guides, and that variable stuff. You may want to get some rockers and springs while you're doing that too. Then see how it runs. If that doesn't help, pull the heads and change the rings too.