Engine vibration / growling on very light to moderate acceleration.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jkogrey82

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm down to my last nerve on this issue. 2015 Expedition with 3.5l EB. I have engine vibration/growling when I'm driving and my foot is barely on the gas and car need is to accelerate or cruising but going up slight incline. If I do light acceleration especially on a hil, then it almost feels like it is on too high of a gear. I can do it in highway too but similar conditions i.e. cruising and going on slight incline but it wont downshift automatically. I changed plugs but not cops. I installed passenger side catch can and still having issue. I'm down to either changing cops or drilling weep hole. I also bought a scanner with Mode 6 and only found 1 misfire driving 15 mins (but it probably did the issue like 5 times). I'm also running 87 gas but adding seafoam in my gas tank. Please help and let me know what yall have done??? I have an Autel AL 519 so let me know if there is an option on there to monitor something specifically to determine root cause.

James

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your issues. Seafoam in modern engines will not work, apparently. You need something like the Gumout fuel injector cleaner made for turbo and supercharged vehicles. It has PEA in it, which apparently is the only chemical that works on modern engines. Here's what they claim about PEA, which seems to be backed by some mechanics :

It is the most potent detergent available for cleaning carbon deposits in fuel systems and the only cleaning agent that has been proven to clean the combustion chamber, piston tops and cylinder heads. P.E.A. also cleans ports, valves and GDI and port injectors and keeps them clean for up to 3,000 miles.

As for hesitation, I too had a little bit of that plus poor gas mileage (I'm a new 2014 Expedition SSV owner). I just changed all spark plugs and there didn't seem to be much effect with hesitation. I then went and bought a can of MAF cleaner, cleaned the MAF sensor and now the truck appears to be doing much better. I'd check your air filter and see if there are no air leaks in the system too.

Some air-related possibilities:

OP
OP
J

Jkogrey82

Reaction score
I didnt know that about the seafoam. My sensor (i think this is for the fuel) on top of the engine is really bad and I can clean it but it still does not look white like it is supposed to be. I ordered a new one and these things are coming from China. So it wont be here for another two weeks. Trying to buy time before i drill a weep hole. I have a full tank now so I'll have to wait till I'm E again before I add another additive/cleaner.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure what sensor you are referring to. I'm talking about the mass air flow (MAF) sensor which is normally located just after the air filter enclosure. The Ecoboost is a bit different than my V8. The Eco appears to have 3 sensors... I'd clean all 3 if I were you.

Check this out:

OP
OP
J

Jkogrey82

Reaction score
Yes. There are 3...one literally right after air filter, another one on top of engine for fuel and the third one is before throttle body (off the top of my head). I did clean all 3 and 2 turned white again and the third one has so much fuel/oil whatnot is permanently brown, lol. That is why I bought a new one. I did see a video and a guy with a 5.4l says it is ignition coils so trying to determine if I want to drop 250$ for set of 6.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try Amazon for coils. Some people here had good fortune with aftermarket ones for a fraction of the cost of Motorcraft...

That being said, I'd just bring it to Ford or to a Ford mechanic if you know one. They can plug in their $30,000 dealer scan tool (or whatever insane amount it costs) and tell you exactly what's wrong based on live data. Could be anything from a dirty / bad sensor or vacuum leak to a bad transmission, or low fluid level in tranny.

Guessing and throwing money on it often is more expensive in the end. Today's cars are an electronic horror show, unfortunately.

Last edited:

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Afterthought : Now that you cleaned the sensors, you should probably reset the computer by disconnecting battery for a while, then let it re-learn engine operation with clean (or new) sensors.

If you don't, it will continue to run poorly for a while until it self-adjusts.

OP
OP
J

Jkogrey82

Reaction score
The problem is that one on top of engine is really not clean. I'm to my last nerve and want to avoid drilling weep hole. As a last resort before I drill I may take it to a shop for diagnosis.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem is that one on top of engine is really not clean. I'm to my last nerve and want to avoid drilling weep hole. As a last resort before I drill I may take it to a shop for diagnosis.

I have a 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new and never wrecked or damaged.

I live in river valley with numerous hilly terrain (not mountainous). Since new, the engine on my Expedition will growl while in 2WD, going uphill, just before the transmission downshifts (as if I am trying to “lug” the engine and prevent a downshift).

The noise is very pronounced and can be heard inside the vehicle, with the radio and a/c on. I have had passengers comment that something is wrong with the engine.

My dealer said this noise is normal - but could not explain what causes it. The noise continues to this day.

I also had another noise which the dealer could not diagnose, and I found a Ford TSB regarding the noise - and fixed the problem myself by replacing a vacuum check valve in the IWE solenoid vacuum line according to the TSB. Here is information about that: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10149748-9999.pdf