Engine Won't Turn Over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyQball79

Reaction score
Help, I have an 03 expy with 215,000 miles and a little bit of water loss. Today, came out and the motor wouldn't turn at all. Battery would grunt and then stop, but had power for the radio. Motor would just grunt a second and then nothing. Whole trip car never got past middle of temp gauge and no smoking either. I'm hoping its not seized.

Plati

Reaction score
battery low?

big pool player Johnny?
i have a collection of cue balls in my pool room
nice rack too ... favorite cue is far left, i call it "Fa"
IMG_2152.JPG

Last edited:

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be battery, could be cables/connectors. It's usually a combination of small things = problem. I went through a stall problem about a year ago. Always stalled when driving.

I guess I would just toss a new battery in there. That's an inexpensive start.

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
May be hydro-locked. You did say some water loss. Remove plugs and see if it will turn over by hand (crank pulley/harmonic balance bolt). You can bend a rod trying to turn over with starter if hydro-locked unless plugs are removed.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Help, I have an 03 expy with 215,000 miles and a little bit of water loss. Today, came out and the motor wouldn't turn at all. Battery would grunt and then stop, but had power for the radio. Motor would just grunt a second and then nothing. Whole trip car never got past middle of temp gauge and no smoking either. I'm hoping its not seized.
Charge the battery first. If the battery wont hold a charge then get a new one.
Then after you have a stable 12 volts do a voltage drop test, it could lead you to the problem.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/voltage-drop-testing-for-no-start.26144/

Bilsto

Reaction score
I haven't had this problem with mine, but it could also be a starter too. The heat and environment could have finally just caused it to fail. But the other guys are right about starting with the battery, I'd pull it and get it tested. That would be the easiest thing to try first.

CountrySplatt

Reaction score
On my 2004 EB, I had to completely rebuild the positive terminal on the battery to get it to reliably start. Evidently, it will get warm and loosen, and then acid will eat through it in a jiffy. Drove me nuts because all of the junkyard trucks I could find, had the same problem. Similar symptoms you describe, too...radio worked fine, lights all worked, would make a turn and then go dead and click at me. I jury-rigged it with a pair of vice grips ensuring I had a connection on the battery terminal to troubleshoot a little.

Kicknbak

Reaction score
My battery charger has the "Boost" selection on it and sure aids in quick battery trouble shooting. I can even get it started with a bad cell. Nice because you can then drive it to the auto parts store and let them free test the whole system and even swap the battery out... for free.