Enough Lurking - New Member - 1st Project Complete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those headlight assemblies with built in LEDs are very nice, how much did those run you?

OP
OP
x5TA1NERx

x5TA1NERx

Reaction score
Daaaaaaamn man, how the HEEELL did you get a clean looking wrap on that lower front bumper cover????

What brand vinyl is that???

I had to do it in 5 pieces. Not because I wanted to but I was running out of vinyl and didn't have a piece big enough to do the whole bumper at once. I will admit, it probably would have been pretty hard.

I used Avery Matte Night Blue Metallic. Overall we like it but I wanted something a little darker.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used Avery car vinyl. It was easier than I thought it would be, just reallllllly time consuming.

How long did the whole truck take?

And...How you do the hard turns and complex 3D stuff like the fog light recess? And did you fight it till you beat it, or toss a bunch of pieces that got messed up the first or second attempt??

Ive only done small pieces, and only Oracal 351 and ViVVid vinyl... Oracal 351 was too thin and broke easy, and the ViVVid junk was too damn thick and cracked or creased on the slightest hint of 3D... also, rolls shipped often had spots of what looked like heat (?) damage, with bubbles and distortions in it before you ever unroll it. And it doesnt even stick well.

OP
OP
x5TA1NERx

x5TA1NERx

Reaction score
How long did the whole truck take?

And...How you do the hard turns and complex 3D stuff like the fog light recess? And did you fight it till you beat it, or toss a bunch of pieces that got messed up the first or second attempt??

Ive only done small pieces, and only Oracal 351 and ViVVid vinyl... Oracal 351 was too thin and broke easy, and the ViVVid junk was too damn thick and cracked or creased on the slightest hint of 3D... also, rolls shipped often had spots of what looked like heat (?) damage, with bubbles and distortions in it before you ever unroll it. And it doesnt even stick well.

I haven't worked with other vinyls but the avery I thought was really nice. I didn't rip any of it and there was a point I tried. A little heat and it always returned to its shape. I watched some videos on YouTube of ckwraps and they were pretty helpful learning to do it. with a little heat, the avery will go around no issue.

I never threw out a large piece which was great as I used the entire roll. The Avery only sticks hard with pressure so until you squeegee it, it comes up pretty well.

overall I spent about 40 hours but you can see from the photos I took off everything I could. I wrapped each panel separately too not the whole side at once. I wanted to be able to wrap it around door jambs to hide the color change a bit more.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sheeeet... sounds like the key is having proper material to work with.

What quantity did you use?

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
a full 75' roll

What width? And how much, if any, left over or wasted?

Hmmm... i think i just managed to con 3M into sending me a free sample of 10 yards of 54" vehicle wrap vinyl.

alas just in white, but I do wonder if it might not be enough to do a practice run on my ol' hooptie, an E36 BMW 328i, or at least roof trunk and hood, which are kinda jacked up atm

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great job and fantastic that you took the time to let us all know exactly how you did it and what you used.....very decent of you sir!

you may stay!

LOL...heck, I'm just surprised that no one has told me to leave yet!

jeff