Etis build sheet decryption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Independent automatic 4 wheel braking via "traction control" is hardly the same thing

Plus it'll just bog you down if it detects slippage.

Uh no, it gives power to the wheels with traction. Bogging down is if it just let you spin the wheels slipping lol. The braking bias can not be turned off and is integrated into the system wouldn’t be on all the time if it hurt performance. When you turn the TC off all it does is turn off engine management and RSC, but in 4WD the braking bias stays. It’s better than an LSD because it works on both front and rear axles unlike a rear LSD. LSDs only throw a tiny bit of power anyway and are largely inneffective.

Last edited:

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, basic traction control systems use ABS and engine management and it isn’t the same thing. BUT! If you turn off traction control with the button in the dash you’ll keep all your engine power but it will still maintain traction by limiting wheel spin with brakes. I owned a TRD Off-Road Tacoma previously and it had an electronic locking rear differential and I never used it because A-TRAC (Toyota’s version of AdvanceTrac) worked so well. You had to enable it in 4L and you couldn’t enable it with the diff locked (for obvious reasons) but it never ever failed me.

I would argue it works better than a limited slip or a locked differential because it’s capable of sending all available torque to a single wheel.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, basic traction control systems use ABS and engine management and it isn’t the same thing. BUT! If you turn off traction control with the button in the dash you’ll keep all your engine power but it will still maintain traction by limiting wheel spin with brakes. I owned a TRD Off-Road Tacoma previously and it had an electronic locking rear differential and I never used it because A-TRAC (Toyota’s version of AdvanceTrac) worked so well. You had to enable it in 4L and you couldn’t enable it with the diff locked (for obvious reasons) but it never ever failed me.

I would argue it works better than a limited slip or a locked differential because it’s capable of sending all available torque to a single wheel.

I agree, I’ve taken it through offroad conditions, soft mud, and decent snow and the system applies power to the wheels with traction flawlessly and performs very well. Control Trac has proven to be a nice system.

Last edited: