Exceedingly happy with my purchase.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ForScan. Check out the thread. There’s an insane amount of info in it. Lots of modding, oem feature adding/upgrades, etc.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Thanks very much for the link! Haven't looked for a couple of years and your note reminded me I still need this.

Bambi mode simply leaves the fog lights On with the high beams. Some laws prohibit too many white lights on the front of the car. To my knowledge when the headlights are on the lows remain on all the time regardless of the high beams.

Setting the fogs as DRLs is an easy and helpful addition.

-- Chuck

CubSmurf

Reaction score
Love my XLT. I prefer cloth seats and I didn't really want the power controlled rear seats.

But I did make some improvements to my XLT shortly after getting it.

1. Upgraded all of the interior bulbs to LEDs. The black cloth seats just soaked up the incandescent light and car was still dark with the lights on, With the LEDs the light has more 'blue' to it which reflects off the black cloth better allowing you to actually see the floor at night.

2. LED headlights bulbs. I used to see my own shadow ahead of me when driving at night when a newer car was behind me. Got Diode Dynamics H11 SL1 bulbs and its just normal now, so I'm happy.

3. Upgraded Infotainment to a Phoenix Automotive PX6 Android 9 17" head unit. Its a crappy piece of hardware, but its hard to beat a 17" screen when running Google Map or Waze.

4. Added Trailer Break Controller thanks to Forscan

5. Enabled Bambi Mode also thanks to Forscan.

6. Put in a Console Vault. Nice to keep valuables secured.

7. VIOFIO A129 Pro Duo 4k Front/Rear Dash Cams. Gotta have a cam now a days.

8. Oil Catch Can for the Eccoboost. Cuts down on Valve Fouling
Yo, how long have you had the Phoenix Head Unit?

It's super intriguing but I don't know anything about them.

Any issues?

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yo, how long have you had the Phoenix Head Unit?

It's super intriguing but I don't know anything about them.

Any issues?
iyj8so9-jpg.67010

I've had it since 2019, so its still running after 2+ years.

It is a bit kludgy but as you can see, it does look pretty good. It doesn't have a built in cellular radio, so you pretty much have to pair it up with either a Phone's WiFi Hotspot, or use a Mobile Hotspot. It does have software HVAC controls, but they are awkwardly programmed and sometimes hard to figure out. But it does support rear AC controls. But if you are driving you will have to take your eyes off the road to change any HVAC settings. The steering wheel buttons partially work. You can get volume up/dn to work, but if you use the "arrows/ok" on the Steering Wheel for your dash menus, the PX6 will each of those buttons presses a press of that vol button you press. Ie). Say you turned up the volume a minute ago. Then you decide to scroll around on your in-dash screen and change from Trip1 to Trip2, or Look at Fuel Mileage, etc... Each time you are hitting up, down, Ok, Back, up, ok, dn, the PX6 is repeating a volume up at the same time causing your volume on the radio to be ever increasing. Hit vol down, and now each press of the ok,arrows keys does a vol dn.

There is a app for Apple CarPlay called. Zlink. I was having issues and I uninstalled it. I can't get it reinstalled. Frustrating. The Waze and Google Maps apps work great. I also use it for YouTube (don't look at screen while driving, but listen to the audio). The PX6 does pretty much allow any Android app to run. There are some like Disney+ or Netflix where you have to hunt down the appropriate apk file to download and install as the ones in the GooglePlay store won't work.

The one real think that I dislike, is that when I used Forscan to enable "remote start" on my XLT, it would start the engine, but it always defaulted to putting the HVAC into Defroster mode. Well when the PX6 was installed, the HVAC doesn't even turn on when you remote start. So I can't pre-heat my XLT in the winter. Sure I can get the engine running, but the HVAC isn't blowing. Boo

Also the install instructions are terrible, if not completely absent. I have installed car radio before, so I know what to do, but this thing as so many cables and inputs its ridiculous. There isn't a true manual or a install guide. Just pretty much looking at the labels on the wires and going from there. I asked for install instructions and they forwarded me a guide for a different model of radio and then another for a 2018 Expedition. The wiring harnesses in the images didn't match up with what I had. Ha.

The Radio itself is terrible and stations that used to coming strongly with the Factory radio are generally weak with this one.

So as you can see there is enough headaches here that I can't "Recommend" it. It just has flaws. But if you are someone you like to tinker and have cool/different stuff, then it could be fun.

But now on the positives.

Large Screen does look great. Backup Camer does work and going from the 4" little Sync2 screen to this is a big difference. You can run pretty much any Android app. I run the MyQ for my Garage Door opener, Plenty of music streaming apps, Even Apple Music has an Android app believe it or not. Weather Radar, even Fast Food apps. It pretty cool using the touch screen for your McDonald or Chick-Fil-A orders.

CubSmurf

Reaction score
iyj8so9-jpg.67010

It is a bit kludgy but as you can see, it does look pretty good. It doesn't have a built in cellular radio, so you pretty much have to pair it up with either a Phone's WiFi Hotspot, or use a Mobile Hotspot. It does have software HVAC controls, but they are awkwardly programmed and sometimes hard to figure out. But it does support rear AC controls. But if you are driving you will have to take your eyes off the road to change any HVAC settings. The steering wheel buttons partially work. You can get volume up/dn to work, but if you use the "arrows/ok" on the Steering Wheel for your dash menus, the PX6 will each of those buttons presses a press of that vol button you press. Ie). Say you turned up the volume a minute ago. Then you decide to scroll around on your in-dash screen and change from Trip1 to Trip2, or Look at Fuel Mileage, etc... Each time you are hitting up, down, Ok, Back, up, ok, dn, the PX6 is repeating a volume up at the same time causing your volume on the radio to be ever increasing. Hit vol down, and now each press of the ok,arrows keys does a vol dn.

There is a app for Apple CarPlay called. Zlink. I was having issues and I uninstalled it. I can't get it reinstalled. Frustrating. The Waze and Google Maps apps work great. I also use it for YouTube (don't look at screen while driving, but listen to the audio). The PX6 does pretty much allow any Android app to run. There are some like Disney+ or Netflix where you have to hunt down the appropriate apk file to download and install as the ones in the GooglePlay store won't work.

The one real think that I dislike, is that when I used Forscan to enable "remote start" on my XLT, it would start the engine, but it always defaulted to putting the HVAC into Defroster mode. Well when the PX6 was installed, the HVAC doesn't even turn on when you remote start. So I can't pre-heat my XLT in the winter. Sure I can get the engine running, but the HVAC isn't blowing. Boo

Also the install instructions are terrible, if not completely absent. I have installed car radio before, so I know what to do, but this thing as so many cables and inputs its ridiculous. There isn't a true manual or a install guide. Just pretty much looking at the labels on the wires and going from there. I asked for install instructions and they forwarded me a guide for a different model of radio and then another for a 2018 Expedition. The wiring harnesses in the images didn't match up with what I had. Ha.

The Radio itself is terrible and stations that used to coming strongly with the Factory radio are generally weak with this one.

So as you can see there is enough headaches here that I can't "Recommend" it. It just has flaws. But if you are someone you like to tinker and have cool/different stuff, then it could be fun.

Large Screen does look great. Backup Camer does work and going from the 4" little Sync2 screen to this is a big difference. You can run pretty much any Android app. I run the MyQ for my Garage Door opener, Plenty of music streaming apps, Even Apple Music has an Android app believe it or not. Weather Radar, even Fast Food apps. It pretty cool using the touch screen for your McDonald or Chick-Fil-A orders.
Yeah, I HATE the small 4-inch screen. Otherwise, the SYNC system is good enough. This seems like the only real plug and play option out there.

They have a slightly smaller screen that seems to fit the space better and has tactile knobs and buttons.
I'm really on the fence.

Attachments

• radio.jpg
    radio.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 18

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
iyj8so9-jpg.jpg

I put this in over the summer. Based on what you just said and how you said it, I’d be willing to bet you left the review for it on their website, too? I agree with you on nearly everything. My biggest positive and nearly sole reason that I got it is the wireless CarPlay.

Factory reset won’t bring back the zlink app?

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wrote a review for it on their website, when I tried to submit it, it never appeared. I guess they held on to it for a while and published later after I had stopped checking.

One of the reason that I got it, was that the Sync3 upgrades that was finding online where like $2,600. So going $900 for the Phoenix didn't seem so bad. Plus it has done what it was asked to do. Be a Android Tablet in the place of a Radio/HVAC.