Expedition Alternative

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This! The niche of "more than 6 passengers and (tongue weight over 930lbs or passengers + cargo + tongue weight over 1600lbs) still exists with nothing to fill it. Which is why used Excursion prices are so persistently high. The only thing that comes close is the NV3500 passenger, but that requires an upgrade to the receiver, the engine is under powered for that use case, and the trailer weight limited to <10000lbs.
This is what I was getting at in that there's nothing that matches what it can do so they are still highly sought-after.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes. So let's quit bashing certain vehicles and certain people for wanting certain vehicles and acting like we would throw them away if somebody gave them to us.
Being a Ford Expedition Forum you would think we at least would be supportive of other Ford products.
Many people and many of us have a use for all different kinds of vehicles.
A few years back at the same time the three vehicles I owned were a six-passenger 60 inch stretch limo, a 79 L82 Corvette bright red in mint condition, and an F-350 show truck on 44 in groundhogs with a hydraulic tilt bed and bright orange.
They all had different purposes. I would gladly take a tiny little smart car or any other Econo crapbox as I call them just to putt around town to go get parts and stuff like that but when my son and I are heading out to have a nice lunch and enjoy the trip because we often Drive 25 minutes to go eat lunch at a place we like. We would take a nice vehicle like my navigator.
You won’t hear any vehicle bashing out of me, to each their own. I’ll also agree on your econobox statement, we have a 5 speed Honda Fit and it’s a blast for running around town in if it’s just one of us going out.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If they got that poor of mileage or something was definitely wrong with the vehicle. I have driven these for many years I never seen one get that for of mileage. I have pulled with Dodges Chevys Ford's whatever but nothing brand new in this hyper fuel mileage world, and when you're pulling a heavy trailer you're lucky to get 8 to 8. 5 in anyting.
I have driven stretch excursions that were 20 ft long in the middle with over 20 people inside. That's a lot of weight and around town they still get 9.2 - 9.5 even with the idle time. On the highway they get 15 even with that load inside. I think the main difference is when I drive a limousine it's being driven like a limousine very soft and takes a long time to get up to speed. Some people when they drive or tow something they want to have the same feeling of acceleration as when they're not towing something so you end up giving it a lot more fuel like 30 to 40% more to maintain that level of feeling. I Putt around absolutely super soft so the fuel mileage doesn't suffer.

Anything could be wrong with it, but it was a year or 2 from brand new and only had 15,000 miles on it, so I hope there wasn't much wrong with it! He was on the throttle hard, but then set the cruise, so it is what it is....

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anything could be wrong with it, but it was a year or 2 from brand new and only had 15,000 miles on it, so I hope there wasn't much wrong with it! He was on the throttle hard, but then set the cruise, so it is what it is....

Hard throttle would do it. Well, maybe not 4 mpg but 6-7.
Not for mileage, but I drive like the there is a n egg on the gas pedal.

I am literally an "Old man in a Lincoln" most of the time. Well, not really old yet, unless you ask someone under 30.
I impede traffic and piss some people off I'm sure.
Don't get me wrong, I will drive 100+ on about any road- if I have a reason too, but let's not get into my play car driving- but for 90%+ of my time behind the wheel, I am in no hurry.
I had a 98 Town Car I drove for years that got 18.4-19.2 around town with AC on. That's how easy I drive.
Most of these get no more than 16.5-17.5 around town.
Eggshell I tell you. I never use cruise. I can get better mileage than it can.
Oh, and I air my tires to 80 PSI. Just kidding! Not those tires, but my load E's get 72-80.
You can make a BIG difference by a light pedal taking off, then let it get as fast as it wants down hills. Let it slow down uphill as long as you are not going ridiculously slow.
Yep, if you follow me for 10 miles, you might see me doing 52 in a 70 and 85 in a 70. Most people set cruise or at least keep it about constant whether it's 65 or 73 etc.
I go with the flow, so to speak. I used to have a MCI diesel pusher bus with 8v-71 and 4sp spicer trans. They never see 10mpg. 7.5 maybe 8 on a good day.
I routinely held clutch in or shifted to neutral down after getting up past desired speed or down hills. There are some old school (because manuals are old school now) rules about not doing either but not really a big deal unless you are one of those marked grades.
It didn't net me any real noticeable increase in mileage because as I said, they never hit 10. I think you can pin it to floor most all the time (which is how most people drive a detroit diesel--it is in the manual IIRC) and still get 6.8...turn off the engine and get towed and get 7.8 so what's the difference!!!

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Being a Ford Expedition Forum you would think we at least would be supportive of other Ford products.

Depends.

Is it a ford ‘fan fanatic’ forum or a forum for people who own or are thinking of owning fords?

Not the same thing.

RenegadeBad_Dog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's nothing but good intentions to this post; I know this is an Expedition site and I've loved the Expeditions that I have owned. The time's coming to replace mine and I'm somewhat resigned to not buying a V-6 Turbo. So I'm looking at other options, even other American brands.

I'm sure some owners here have compared before buying. Has anyone seriously considered a Tahoe or Suburban? I'd like to hear of what GM or Dodge shortcomings convinced you to stay with Ford.

Not criticizing here, just my personal opinion. I'd like to hear yours.
My family has had a Tahoe, Suburban, Traverse, and even a Honda Odyssey. The GM vehicles are great for comfort. The third row space of course is going to be less because of the rear suspension. Tahoe's don't have to much truck space but if you didn't have a El I wouldn't worry about it. Honestly the only thing I can recommend is taking a few different vehicles out for a test drive. Express you concerns/wants and needs with your salesperson. Each vehicle has its pros and cons. It all is really going to depend on personal preferences.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

dj2big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
32fb673b9fb2093e798e57ce05441699.jpg

From my ownership experience my 2017 Tahoe Premier 4x4 is a beast. Smooth ride comfortable great in gas I out 53000 miles in 2 years around Chicago towing as well at least 25 times a year even few trips to Texas. I did not want tiger rod of it but needed a bigger suv traded it for the expedition max. Max is big but it’s no Chevy Tahoe that’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My family has had a Tahoe, Suburban, Traverse, and even a Honda Odyssey. The GM vehicles are great for comfort. The third row space of course is going to be less because of the rear suspension. Tahoe's don't have to much truck space but if you didn't have a El I wouldn't worry about it. Honestly the only thing I can recommend is taking a few different vehicles out for a test drive. Express you concerns/wants and needs with your salesperson. Each vehicle has its pros and cons. It all is really going to depend on personal preferences.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Waaaaaaaaaaay too pragmatic and reasoned lol

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agree with that (except there’s nothing that can match a sub for cargo space).

The current Tahoe vs the brand new expy is an easy expy win.

What happens this fall/winter remains to be seen.

It Ford is smart they won’t wait a decade between redesigns. If they do GM will continue to eat their lunch.

Say whaaat?

3rd gen Expedition EL / Navigator L were within 5% of the Suburban by volume, and functionally better in actual use because the cargo area is flat and untilted...

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can’t get a Tahoe in two tone, wouldn’t buy one (lol jk not a deal breaker). I think you could get two tone on the Suburbans back in the day though.