Expedition Alternative

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe measurement wise the sub has the larger load deck but the expy cargo area is taller and more accessible due to lower load height, negating the 9% more room.

Ive nenver had a problem spotting used expy els, since a lot come off the lease, they arent more rare than finding any other expy or nav used. Most of the time, ppl keep em until they cant or get a newer car.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most of the time, ppl keep em until they cant or get a newer car.
True, but the volume of GM BOF SUVs sold to fleet customers is staggering. Something like 40% of Yukons are fleet sales. Fleet buyers purchasing cycles are a bit different than retail buyers...

Joedirtyshirt

Reaction score
Test drive them ,or better yet rent them for a weekend and see what fits , the Toyota hurt my hip, and the Nisan was just to different to get used to with driver control (my wife hated it before we actually left lot so we returned it early} the smaller Uts were just not comfortable with Grandkids, Gm's are kinda nice but their cutting out cylinders got under my skin, can't imagine what that is doing to cylinders over the long haul, the Expedition was my wifes and my first vehicle that we both got turned on by, seemed to big but I can hardly get her to let me drive her baby, as for the V6 twin turbo, I had my fears, but not much on internet about failures, and after a year and 25,000 miles still NO REGRETS, ACTUALLY thinking about trading my old Dakota quad cab in for a second Expedition but would be real sad to do any ill to the inside storage area , the bed of a truck with a cap is a little more forgiving to OOPS"s

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Funny, they seem to be very popular in rural areas. People love to pull horse trailers with them and they love the extra room they provide inside. Not the real urban grocery getter though as they are so huge and knowing to park in parking spots. Big, like a Suburban.

This is my third Expedition. By far the best one yet. I'll keep it for 12 years, so the first few years of high depreciation will average out. I'm done buying used as I'm particular about maintenance. Fortunately, I'm in a position to not worry about the cost.

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Moral of the story, if cargo space is your main criteria, the sub is the choice.

Not really. The important thing to realize is that with all seats down, they are equal. The reason there's more room behind the second row in the Suburban is that there's more leg room for the second row in the Expedition. Same story for the third row. Plus the flat load floor in the Expedition, better ride with IRS. For me it was a no brainer.

Plati

Reaction score
I'm tall (6' 4"). Shopped around for something comfortable to sit in for head & knees ... 4WD w ground clearance. Easy change 2WD 4WD. Lots of useable space in back. Time tested V8. Nice appearance exterior. Decent gas mileage (not spectacular). Price sensitvity considerations. Etc.

There was NO alternative to the Expy for what I wanted. At least no alternative that measured up. IMHO

On my third one .. 2014EL.
Bought an off lease.
Love it. Will keep it 20 years

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No guarantee the new gms will ride better. Toyota implemented irs for 2008, 5 yrs after expy, did it really ride better? Does it ride better now? Armada has always had irs, first gen armada didnt ride better than 2nd or 3rd gen expy. With The current gen armada, its a toss up which rides better. What im saying is this will be gms first attempt at irs for their truck based suv, it wont be perfect by launch and may not be better than any of the current trucks.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my Expedition but I’ll be honest, I get the Suburban appeal. The Suburban/ Yukon is just cool, you can’t even argue that. It looks strong, more truck-like and just has a cool energy. It has deep rooted history in its nameplate, the Suburban was the first SUV starting in 1935. They use them in movies, media, they are used by the govt etc. The cool FBI guys in action movies are always doing a chase in their blacked out Tahoe/Suburban lol. It’s got a general public viewing and is well known. That alone is enough to fuel sales whether better or not.

The Suburban has pretty much become an American icon over the last 80 years of its history. I’m not a GM guy but it’s a great vehicle. It has stood the test of time much longer and has come further from its roots through its evolution than any other sport utility on the road today.

DFC9C89B-530A-49C0-8E57-7817EF70112F.jpeg
753A9424-8FC8-4EF6-9F6C-5D9B1D1A9D42.jpeg

Last edited:

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No guarantee the new gms will ride better. Toyota implemented irs for 2008, 5 yrs after expy, did it really ride better? Does it ride better now? Armada has always had irs, first gen armada didnt ride better than 2nd or 3rd gen expy. With The current gen armada, its a toss up which rides better. What im saying is this will be gms first attempt at irs for their truck based suv, it wont be perfect by launch and may not be better than any of the current trucks.

Have you ever owned a GM SUV?

You seem to be throwing out a low of ‘yeah buts’. Could the largest SUV manufacturer in the world completely screw up a suspension technology that’s been around for a century? Sure. Will they? I doubt it.

The fact remains that the current (5 year old GM) is solid competition to the brand new expys and it’s safe to say that GM won’t screw up the new model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: