Expedition always last to get anything.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phillip White

Reaction score
So, what is the deal with the Expedition getting nothing at all until its went through all of their other product line? I own a 2017 and was hesitant to buy it since, after some research, I found that there has been very little change with it since the second generation (2006). I carried on though and made the purchase as I needed the room as I have up to 5 Mental Health clients that we care for in our home and since I have loved Ford since I was young enough to drive ( some 40 years now ). I paid a great amount for it - the Limited MAX and still owe about 69K after just over a year when the 2018's pop out with all this luxury and re-branded sound and new look. Well... I wanted it. It's about time I thought that the Expedition gets some luxury for the price you pay for them. I set up the deal and was browsing one last time through the Platinum trim when I noticed that the 120v inverter they include is ONLY 150 watts! I stopped everything. Until I seen this I heard that the 2018's were getting a proper 400 watt inverter like the rest of Ford's product line has and is what I needed because my GT70 laptop needs more than the 150 watts supplied by more current 2017 model so I was excited that I won't have that issue with the 2018's. Nope, Ford has done it again. Shorted us Expo owners in yet another year. Don't get me wrong - I do like some of the new features offered in the 2018 - you know - the ones that a lot of their other product lines already had ( I actually walked all over the store checking out all the other vehicles and they all had 400 watts ) but, seriously? Cheaping out on an inverter? I wanted to scream! Honestly... With all the cash they are saving on material to build these things (lighter) you would think they could afford us the luxury of keeping their high-priced line up-to-date? Nope. So, again, stopped the deal. I will not pay 86K for something they added a few 10 dollar features to if they aren't even going to pay attention to what people need yet continue to charge the big money for. Anyone know what this is about? Why the Expedition is always the last to get anything? Why it's never kept current with tech? I am very sad faced just now.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I'm just speculating here, but I'd suppose Ford doesn't have to stay in the forefront with bells and whistles to sell these cars. The opposite would be true in their pickups where competition across a full range of price markets is fierce. The Expedition buyer only has one other choice, that being GM. They are generally older (average age in their 50's) and have a higher incomes. That demographic has always been less attracted to bells and whistles and may actually shun the latest technology.

On another hand, the Expedition's development has always trailed on the coattails of the Ford light trucks and nearly always has been hashed together from successful truck designs and parts. Despite what some may view as a liability, the trucks have very limited competition and sell strongly.

For what may be the first time for Expedition, Ford appears to be heralding its latest WiFi technology with the 2018. Perhaps they are hearing more from people like you these days who seek a more updated design.

OP
OP
P

Phillip White

Reaction score
I traded in the 2014 F150 Platinum for the 2017 Expedition and I so wish I hadn't of had to but, again, needed the space. The F150 was so spacious and just as powerful as the Expedition. Conversely, the Expedition is much smaller in width thereby making the seats a lot smaller which is, for the most part, very uncomfortable in comparison but overall I respect the Expedition in that they have done well with space and putting in the EcoBoost engine.

I have read and understood everything you have replied with and thank you for your opinion - much appreciated! I guess I wish Ford would just be more forthcoming in what they release to the public with respect to why they make these decisions - and if they make enough sense - somewhat like your reply does - then I might be able to understand and swallow my attitude and go ahead and buy one just the same. I suppose I am looking for some justification on spending even more money on something that doesn't seem to be evolving that much. There are some things I do like about the 2018 though... I like the Denali look around the wheels. I think it's also higher which I also like. I don't much care about knowing if I am crossing over the line while driving since if I am doing that I probably shouldn't be driving. Anyway - rambling I am. Again, I thank you for your reply!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, what is the deal with the Expedition getting nothing at all until its went through all of their other product line? I own a 2017 and was hesitant to buy it since, after some research, I found that there has been very little change with it since the second generation (2006). I carried on though and made the purchase as I needed the room as I have up to 5 Mental Health clients that we care for in our home and since I have loved Ford since I was young enough to drive ( some 40 years now ). I paid a great amount for it - the Limited MAX and still owe about 69K after just over a year when the 2018's pop out with all this luxury and re-branded sound and new look. Well... I wanted it. It's about time I thought that the Expedition gets some luxury for the price you pay for them. I set up the deal and was browsing one last time through the Platinum trim when I noticed that the 120v inverter they include is ONLY 150 watts! I stopped everything. Until I seen this I heard that the 2018's were getting a proper 400 watt inverter like the rest of Ford's product line has and is what I needed because my GT70 laptop needs more than the 150 watts supplied by more current 2017 model so I was excited that I won't have that issue with the 2018's. Nope, Ford has done it again. Shorted us Expo owners in yet another year. Don't get me wrong - I do like some of the new features offered in the 2018 - you know - the ones that a lot of their other product lines already had ( I actually walked all over the store checking out all the other vehicles and they all had 400 watts ) but, seriously? Cheaping out on an inverter? I wanted to scream! Honestly... With all the cash they are saving on material to build these things (lighter) you would think they could afford us the luxury of keeping their high-priced line up-to-date? Nope. So, again, stopped the deal. I will not pay 86K for something they added a few 10 dollar features to if they aren't even going to pay attention to what people need yet continue to charge the big money for. Anyone know what this is about? Why the Expedition is always the last to get anything? Why it's never kept current with tech? I am very sad faced just now.
Welcome to the Forum Phillip. I've thought about trading my 17 on an 18 but I have decided not to do it. I may reconsider it in about 5 years.

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Overall I love my ‘17- it’s a fantastic vehicle all around. But I agree 100% about the 150W inverter outlet. It’s way, way too underpowered.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hadn’t even thought to check this item but after you mentioned it I looked and sure enough, the trucks get the 400 watt one. I can only assume that Ford thinks the truck one would get used on job sites or whatever. Idk. What kind of stuff is the 150 watt good for? I only need to charge my phone or tablet in the car so having a inverter is new to me.

OP
OP
P

Phillip White

Reaction score
Well, 400 watts is just enough for light-weight tools. On the job site they would need much more than 400 watts for normal use tools. I have thought about most reasons why they wouldn't have included the 400 watts and could not come up with anything reasonable. If the dealer can offer me a sweat deal on a 2018 with a trade-in on my 2017 with its negative equity I will go for it just cause I do like how the 2018 looks overall but the payments on it will need to be about the same as I am paying now otherwise no extra effort (money down or over-budgeting) will be made since Ford doesn't seem to put in the extra effort. To put in a 400 watt or better is actually pretty cheap ( pure sign wave ) but the thing that stops me from doing that is it would look like crap mounted aftermarket.

Oh, and thank you all for the warm welcome to the forums! :)

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hadn’t even thought to check this item but after you mentioned it I looked and sure enough, the trucks get the 400 watt one. I can only assume that Ford thinks the truck one would get used on job sites or whatever. Idk. What kind of stuff is the 150 watt good for? I only need to charge my phone or tablet in the car so having a inverter is new to me.
Here’s a page I found with some example of what devices require what wattage. It seems like everything I’ll ever plug in will be fine. It’s not like I’ll be microwaving a burrito while ironing a shirt in my back seat. Haha

http://gpelectric.com/company/how-determine-what-size-inverter-use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

Phillip White

Reaction score
Here’s a page I found with some example of what devices require what wattage. It seems like everything I’ll ever plug in will be fine. It’s not like I’ll be microwaving a burrito while ironing a shirt in my back seat. Haha

http://gpelectric.com/company/how-determine-what-size-inverter-use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately 150 watts doesn't power my laptop - which is the only thing I use that socket for. The laptop requires 160 watts. If I had decent Internet out here in the rural area I wouldn't have to bring my laptop into town to download the latest updates for my family's games ;)

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately 150 watts doesn't power my laptop - which is the only thing I use that socket for. The laptop requires 160 watts. If I had decent Internet out here in the rural area I wouldn't have to bring my laptop into town to download the latest updates for my family's games ;)
I just checked my laptop and it’s 180 Watts! I am surprised it’s that high. As for the inverter it’s self I’m curious as to the actual difference in dimensions and if switching it with the F150 part is a possibility. I don’t think this one feature will be an issue for me but it would be nice to have a higher wattage option should I use my laptop in the car.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65