This will likely be my last ford

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought my 2018 limited new. At 500 miles we found the shocks leaking, yep all 4. Called the dealership and they said bring it in, so I brought it in waited to have someone put it on a lift, yep they're leaking. They checked 6 months back order so Bilstein shock went on at my expense. 30k miles fuel pump failed yep another backorder part, again. My expense. 60k miles rear A/c condenser failed. Now 6 mo later front condenser failed , today a private shop had to pull the seats and entire dashboard to replace it. Ford sure has come a long way, downhill . I don't think I can a Ford a Ford again. So many good features and reasons to like it but what garbage .

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't blame you, but two things (1) first year of a new model and (2) the alternatives are likely just as bad. Extended warranty is a must with a vehicle this complicated.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought my 2018 limited new. At 500 miles we found the shocks leaking, yep all 4. Called the dealership and they said bring it in, so I brought it in waited to have someone put it on a lift, yep they're leaking. They checked 6 months back order so Bilstein shock went on at my expense. 30k miles fuel pump failed yep another backorder part, again. My expense. 60k miles rear A/c condenser failed. Now 6 mo later front condenser failed , today a private shop had to pull the seats and entire dashboard to replace it. Ford sure has come a long way, downhill . I don't think I can a Ford a Ford again. So many good features and reasons to like it but what garbage .
You are still in a good shape, by 90k miles, they will have to dig into the engine to do the cam phasers and replace the transmission due to failing drum.

First year production is not a good excuse. Until 2023 they are still using the crappy shocks that leak within a year. And the quality complains from the 22+ vehicles are still high! This is due to cheap parts coupled with not-enough-testing before mass production.

I thought because they sell millions of these trucks they for sure know how to make them,, but I was wrong.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The main issue is having to wait months for stupid back ordered parts.
Isn't the backorder situation being improved this year (2023)? Can't imagine Ford still has massive backordered parts two years after pandemic. There is not any excuse left for them.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is painful all the problems these seem to have. I have been "lucky" I guess with ONLY 2 cam phaser replacements. Still have the annoying turbo wastegate rattle that ford would never fixed.

I hate Chevy, so I would never buy one of those and the foreign alternatives just aren't for me. Drove an x7 and it just wasn't worth the six digit price. Plus no one is dealing like they were before COVID so I am riding the expy til it dies.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I won't buy another Ford either. Mostly how Ford has hung it's owners out with refusing to admit and warrant the cam phasers long term (we'll fix it once, then F you). Waste gate rattles, tranny issues, many failed parts, supply chain issues.

I know I have a good one, but I'm not sure I want to ride out the last year of my extended warranty. My issues is, what to replace it with?

@Grey ghost .... I'm confused as to why you paid for replacement shocks and a fuel pump? If it's a warranty claim, make them fix it. Can't get the OEM parts, make them get something or make them pay the third party bill.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The main issue is having to wait months for stupid back ordered parts.

I had the same issue several times. Had a small rental. Not the same as an Expedition - which I use for multiple-passengers.

Ford has no concern for its customers and continues to fail to provide replacement parts.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Isn't the backorder situation being improved this year (2023)? Can't imagine Ford still has massive backordered parts two years after pandemic. There is not any excuse left for them.

In September 2023, I have an appointment to replace the front HVAC blower motor under a potential fire safety recall.

The recall was issued in August 2022 - it took (if the part arrives at the dealer) more than a year for Ford to provide the part to the dealer.