Expedition always last to get anything.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, 400 watts is just enough for light-weight tools. On the job site they would need much more than 400 watts for normal use tools. I have thought about most reasons why they wouldn't have included the 400 watts and could not come up with anything reasonable. If the dealer can offer me a sweat deal on a 2018 with a trade-in on my 2017 with its negative equity I will go for it just cause I do like how the 2018 looks overall but the payments on it will need to be about the same as I am paying now otherwise no extra effort (money down or over-budgeting) will be made since Ford doesn't seem to put in the extra effort. To put in a 400 watt or better is actually pretty cheap ( pure sign wave ) but the thing that stops me from doing that is it would look like crap mounted aftermarket.

Oh, and thank you all for the warm welcome to the forums! :)

Yup, I would trade in a 2017 for a 2018 in a heartbeat! The 2017 was mostly designed and developed in the late 1990's and only "refreshed" (not redesigned) in the mid 2000's, so really its a very, very old vehicle based on everything Ford knew and understood about vehicle design some 20 years ago. It's a great vehicle, just an old designed vehicle.

So really, if you trade in a 2017 for a 2018, you can think of it like you're trading in a 20 year old vehicle for a brand spanking new one, lol. Think of it that way if it helps make the decision easier.

Last edited:

MiddKid

Reaction score
Unfortunately 150 watts doesn't power my laptop - which is the only thing I use that socket for. The laptop requires 160 watts. If I had decent Internet out here in the rural area I wouldn't have to bring my laptop into town to download the latest updates for my family's games ;)

Bummer. My 15in MacBook Pro uses 87W while my wife's 13in MacBook Pro uses 61W. Arguably we can both charge at the same time!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just checked my laptop and it’s 180 Watts! I am surprised it’s that high. As for the inverter it’s self I’m curious as to the actual difference in dimensions and if switching it with the F150 part is a possibility. I don’t think this one feature will be an issue for me but it would be nice to have a higher wattage option should I use my laptop in the car.
My guess is that it would be fairly easy to change it out. I have a 400 W inverter that I bought for when we traveled with our kids to PA a few years ago. They are all in their 20s now but they had a laptop plugged in and they were charging a few handheld games during the 8 hour road trip. So if you need more you can always take portable inverter with you and plug it into the accessory outlet.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My guess is that it would be fairly easy to change it out. I have a 400 W inverter that I bought for when we traveled with our kids to PA a few years ago. They are all in their 20s now but they had a laptop plugged in and they were charging a few handheld games during the 8 hour road trip. So if you need more you can always take portable inverter with you and plug it into the accessory outlet.
Yeah I’m with you on this,for most buyers I think there is a work around but I’d prefer a hidden unit just so I don’t have to hassle with it. Idk, I’m still not too concerned.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’m with you on this,for most buyers I think there is a work around but I’d prefer a hidden unit just so I don’t have to hassle with it. Idk, I’m still not too concerned.
My guess it is hidden under the console and easily swapped out with the larger one, except for the cost. It's probably an afternoon project or have the dealer do it as part of the purchase.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My guess it is hidden under the console and easily swapped out with the larger one, except for the cost. It's probably an afternoon project or have the dealer do it as part of the purchase.
I may ask my salesman about this just out of curiosity.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, I would trade in a 2017 for a 2018 in a heartbeat! The 2017 was mostly designed and developed in the late 1990's and only "refreshed" (not redesigned) in the mid 2000's, so really its a very, very old vehicle based on everything Ford knew and understood about vehicle design some 20 years ago. It's a great vehicle, just an old designed vehicle.

So really, if you trade in a 2017 for a 2018, you can think of it like you're trading in a 20 year old vehicle for a brand spanking new one, lol. Think of it that way if it helps make the decision easier.

Idk I’m disliking the 18’ the more I see it, thought I liked it at first but now that I see some around I’m thinking they are ugly, especially the rear. My truck looks so much more masculine and strong next to the 18’. Old is gold, ford ran this design and it worked great, we will see how the new 18’ holds up, new doesn’t mean better. A 97 expy was built better than my 07 and my 07 probably built better than the new one.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...new doesn’t mean better. A 97 expy was built better than my 07 and my 07 probably built better than the new one.
The reality is that things built 50 years ago were built better than things built today. Back then, they were built to be repaired, they were built stronger and heavier. In each succeeding decade, things have been cost reduced - meaning make them cheaper, make them disposable, when it breaks we just dispose of it and get a new one. Vehicles are one of the few remaining things built that can be repaired and even some components on them can only be replaced. But my point is that a 20 year old or a 10 year old vehicle may have started out as having been better built but 10-20 years of wear and tear eventually brings them to an end of life condition. They have to be replaced and we replace them with a newer vehicle. Some people are perfectly happy buying a used vehicle (and hoping that the previous owners didn't abuse them) others have the money and are more comfortable knowing that they have a brand new vehicle and will do everything possible to make sure that it is properly cared for.

I'm not trying to start an argument, because I'm really not, but this is Ford's new design, it is probably going to be around for a long time and they probably have facelifts and updates already planned for the next 10 years, if you don't like it you don't have to buy it. It is clear that Ford isn't going to please everybody. I don't have a problem with the truck looking masculine or not, it doesn't define me but that's just me. I like the new look the more I see it the more I like it. I have yet to drive one but as soon as one shows up on my local dealer's lot, I am going to take it for a short test drive.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reality is that things built 50 years ago were built better than things built today. Back then, they were built to be repaired, they were built stronger and heavier. In each succeeding decade, things have been cost reduced - meaning make them cheaper, make them disposable, when it breaks we just dispose of it and get a new one. Vehicles are one of the few remaining things built that can be repaired and even some components on them can only be replaced. But my point is that a 20 year old or a 10 year old vehicle may have started out as having been better built but 10-20 years of wear and tear eventually brings them to an end of life condition. They have to be replaced and we replace them with a newer vehicle. Some people are perfectly happy buying a used vehicle (and hoping that the previous owners didn't abuse them) others have the money and are more comfortable knowing that they have a brand new vehicle and will do everything possible to make sure that it is properly cared for.

I'm not trying to start an argument, because I'm really not, but this is Ford's new design, it is probably going to be around for a long time and they probably have facelifts and updates already planned for the next 10 years, if you don't like it you don't have to buy it. It is clear that Ford isn't going to please everybody. I don't have a problem with the truck looking masculine or not, it doesn't define me but that's just me. I like the new look the more I see it the more I like it. I have yet to drive one but as soon as one shows up on my local dealer's lot, I am going to take it for a short test drive.

I agree with many of your points I’m just very unhappy with the new pricing strategy. Maybe it’s fords attempt to slowly kill these trucks and move us all to more compact SUVs. A $20,000 jump from Explorer to Expedition is unprecedented, i talk to so many people who bought new Fords in the last few years who say they can no longer afford to buy new from them these days and ford and others have shoved these people into the used market and lose sales due to it. At their current prices by rule of thumb to buy a base Expedition one should make at LEAST $250,000 annually and more for higher trim. If someone buys an Expedition and they don’t make that benchmark they are overbuying, I think there is a lot of that going on in the market. I can say if prices remain where they are I will never purchase a new version of this vehicle in my lifetime, because odds are I will never bring in a quarter of a million dollars annually.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miscalculation on my part for a base one should make $200,000 annually not 250.