Expedition differences - Newbie alert!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

White Knight

Reaction score
OK, I'm gonna ask some very stupid questions, but please bear with me, I'm new to these trucks. :) Anyway, next week I'll be picking up a 1997 XLT with the 5.4 litre engine. What exactly is the difference between an Eddie Bauer, XLT, etc.? Are they different sizes/shapes? I know some engines are 4.6, and some are 5.4. Is the 5.4 better for towing, speed, or both? Is it much worse on gas than a 4.6? My '97 XLT I'm getting has no third row seat. Did it originally have one? Does a FAQ file exist? Thanks for any help in advance guys!

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Basically the difference between the XLT and the Eddie Bauer in the '97 Expys' are rather simple. The Eddie Bauer basically had the majority of options already installed. The XLT could have everything the Eddie Bauer did, but they had to be added on.

The Eddie Bauer has the following as standard:
- Factory Tow Package which has the tow bar, electrical, super cooling, oil & Trans cooler, etc., 3.73 rear
- Leather with Eddie Bauer signature
- Mach Stereo system
- 17" alloy wheels
- 5.4l engine
- E4OD transmission
- Fog Lamps
- Eddie Bauer Badge
- Extra Paint colors to choose from
- Rear electric quarter windows
- Captain's chairs in front w/ 6-way power
- other misc items

The 5.4l engine has more power so it is better at towing, but it will also use more gas.

I have the ordering guide for the '98 which is the same as the '97, and I will send it to you, as long as your profile has an email address assocaiated with it (it is to large to post here).

BONESTOCK

Reaction score
That's a great post. I too am looking to get an Expy for a vacation/tow the Stang to the dragway vehicle.

I'm a noob also. haha