Expedition is going under the knife for VCT solenoid.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnb21

Reaction score
Definitely the wastegates. Mine do it not only on cold startup, but even warm start ups and I can generally hear them anytime I drive through something like a "drivethru" where there are barriers on the sides that reflect the sound. I was able to sit in a dealership bay, put the car in drive, and rev it to about 2700 RPM, and it made that rattle continuously from both turbos. I've been fight Ford for almost 9 months to replace the turbos. They say its normal, but I disagree on several fronts. If it didn't do it until the vehicle hit about 7k miles, then it's not entirely normal. If a brand new one sitting next to it doesn't do it, hum? And I've built other turbo engines with electronic and mechanical wastegates that didn't make that kind of a noise. Metal flapping on metal that much will eventually wear out or cause another issue.

It's super annoying to me, sounds like a piece of crap 70's Datsun with a loose exhaust when I'm cruising through parking lots etc. For your edumacation, before Ford would approve anything, they required my local dealer to the do the VCT fix even though both myself and the dealer master tech said the sound was coming from the wheel wells and under the car, not in the vicinity of the chain/vct area. How stupid to tear apart a car for a full week when we all know that's not the noise.

I have exactly the same diagnosis and concerns you noted above. I have 33k the truck and the cam phasers and VCT solenoids have been replaced. The rattle remains cold or hot, but louder in the first 2m during startup. I also had both rear taillights replaced, due to moisture buildup. The new taillights do the same thing, and they aren't as tight to the body as the originals. If to do over, I wouldn't of pushed to have them replaced.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, so maybe that's where my dealer is starting with VCT then. I assume you've not had your VCT done yet?
No, I definitely had it done. A week without the car and the second we started it up after the repair you could hear the wastegates. Complete waste of time, money, and cracking open a perfectly good engine. Even the tech said he didn't hear the phasers to begin with.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have exactly the same diagnosis and concerns you noted above. I have 33k the truck and the cam phasers and VCT solenoids have been replaced. The rattle remains cold or hot, but louder in the first 2m during startup. I also had both rear taillights replaced, due to moisture buildup. The new taillights do the same thing, and they aren't as tight to the body as the originals. If to do over, I wouldn't of pushed to have them replaced.
I had to have a taillight replaced as it was cracking from the inside out, as you stated, its just not the same fit now.

OP
OP
bill_b

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, I definitely had it done. A week without the car and the second we started it up after the repair you could hear the wastegates. Complete waste of time, money, and cracking open a perfectly good engine. Even the tech said he didn't hear the phasers to begin with.
Man, that is unfortunate, that's exactly what I am worried about happening to mine. I don't want the unnecessary fumbling around in there. I think I am going to skip this one and wait for part of the turbos to fail if that's the case then as I have an extended warranty.

Perhaps that will be a good time to go stage 5 :naughty:

OP
OP
bill_b

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welp, just picked mine up from the dealership and I think the rattle is worse... how is that possible?! Anyone see anything that would indicate parts that they actually fixed it?

This sucks ***, this is the only vehicle I haven't gotten bored with after 2 years lol.

Attachments

• 20210721_203830.jpg
    20210721_203830.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
bill_b

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cold started this morning and it wasn't nearly as bad as last night. This definitely seems like a wastegate.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cold started this morning and it wasn't nearly as bad as last night. This definitely seems like a wastegate.

I believe that's a wastegate rattle. Here is what mine sounded like until ford replaced the DS turbo under warranty.

0:44 is the part that you really hear the rattle!

OP
OP
bill_b

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, that's it exactly! Thank you for sharing the video.

This shouldn't be a major battle with them to get it fixed seeing as how I've had the phasers/VCT done at this point. My tech said it needed them badly too, it reached a certain point where my expedition started sounding like a diesel!