Expedition jammed in gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99expEB

Reaction score
I own a 1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Eddition, 5.4 L V8. My wife went into the garage to back it out and it won't budge. It acts as though the parking brake is set, but it isn't. If feels like the back left wheel is jammed and won't move. I was able to hit the gas while in reverse to get it to move a little, however there was a grinding noise the enter time it was moving. I was then able to drive forward without the grinding noise until I heard a click or pop come from the back wheel. Then it seemed like the truck was jammed again and wouldn't move. Does anyone know why this is happening and what I can do to fix it? Please let me know. I'm not sure if this is a brake/wheel issue or transmission problem. Any help would be great. Thanks.

stang99x

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have a siezed caliper. See if you can jack up the back end, put it on stands, and put it in gear and try to engauge.

OP
OP

99expEB

Reaction score
I had it up on stands last night and it looks to me like the emergency brake is siezed, it won't release. I'm wondering if the clicking noise is a busted spring inside the emergency brake mechanism and it looked like my emergency brake cable going to the rear drivers side wheel may be rusted.