Expedition means low quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Funny time to see this post. Just read this article this morning. It's one thing for Farley to say he see's the problems, but I would love to know if there's a plan to fix it. https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2023-us-vehicle-dependability-studyvds Even funnier to see the more expensive Ford even lower on the list. I agree with some of the sentiments here, that everything is sort of built like crap now, but some are less crappier than others. And it's not just about whether something will fail, lots of things fail, its how you go about fixing the problem that often makes more of an impression and to me, Good Ford dealers and service centers are becoming harder to find.

Last edited:

Rednecked

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Veichles these days are throw away cars. I agree with OP quality sucks now. It’s all made out of plastic. I remember putting plastic model cars together with glue when I was a kid. Haha. Same thing just a larger scale now. Lol

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have to conclude the statement above after reading through this forum. Expeditions are built with low standard quality control, especially for model year 2022.

Any car forum I have been on (Nisan, Ford, Dodge, etc. ) there are lots of complaints.

* People with problems post looking for solutions or to vent
* People without issues typically don't post random "all good here" posts

Respectfully: Unless you have compared multiple brand forums by volume, adjusted for vehicle volumes and form membership size you are just misunderstanding how these forums work.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haha, this thread is a joke of a post.
It's amazing how people gravitate towards "the quality sucks" when they don't even have an understanding of the base data.
What you people have here is "recency bias" of course 2022's suck, they are the vehicle that people are picking up now and finding problems with.
Filter back to 2018, you'll see tons of posts about the "issues" those vehicles had, they must suck too.

To make this thread a bit more intelligent, it would be useful is to understand how Ford is reacting to quality issues with both timeliness and resolution. Compare their process and timing for identification and resolution of issues both to their previous models and competing brands. Everyone has issues, are they dealing with them effectively and efficiently?

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Customers are the problem ! When customers pay 10K or more over MSRP for a vehicle, they are demonstrating to the manufacturers that they don't really give a damn. So the manufacturers keep on shoveling crap our way.
Couldn't agree more, and we just set the new bar. As if these weren't expensive enough, customers just told Ford they should increase their price 5%/yr for the next 5 years, not including inflation. I actually have about 3 or 4 other things i'd blame but i'll hold off on here. Bottom line, whether you believe the JD Power rankings i posted or not, Ford/Lincoln being in the lowest 5 isn't a good thing. the only vehicle worse is a Land Rover right now? Sheesh.

KetMalice

Reaction score
I just purchased my 2022 Platinum and have no complaints so far. Would like to hear about the low standards of quality control.
Have the BO system? Look at your center speaker cover that is warped. Look at the 1/8” gaps in the corner of the instrument cluster housing where it meets the dashboard. I can literally see inside and see the clips.

KetMalice

Reaction score
I would disagree. There are always cases of items poorly installed. Especially high volume cars.
My 22 Timberline has been flawless. Zero issues and excellent build.
There are always people who complain about every little detail. Like some who complain the speaker grill is warped and then automatically assume the quality is crap. My center speaker grill has a little warp but does not bother me one bit. Never even noticed it until people started calling it out. I can spend my valuable time trying to get it fixed for just spite or just get on with my life. It’s a mass produced SUV, regardless of the price there are always going to be edge cases.
How about the 1/8” gap in the instrument cluster housing at top right and top left. They didn’t manufacture correctly.

My Timberline has had 4 MAJOR repairs in 6 months. My APIM has been replaced twice so I can use my 15.5” screen, my HVAC module has been replaced, my right headlight assembly went completely out, my transmission has been reprogrammed twice.

There’s also a dozen more non critical things that have been fixed under warranty. The problem is, the visual engineering issues you see are a representation of the mechanical side too.

Pretty much every issue I’ve had ends up being a service bulletin. I had to fight tooth and nail to get Ford to acknowledge its issues and then fix it. And then after they fix the issue like a month later there is a service bulletin.

Pawpaw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One recall on my '21 FX4 and nothing else. Only 11K miles in 14 months so its not being used that much. Old retired ex-trucker that takes care of things!!

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like the wastegate rattles. I've had both turbo's replaced and about 15k mile later, its back. Turbo's aren't new, I used to install aftermarket BOV's on Honda's/Acura's that lasted as long as the car. What i'm personally seeing is a lot of things that have been in cars for decades have been redesigned to be cheaper and lighter. This leads to poor quality in many cases. There's an old saying out there, don't fix what's not broken. Or like my $1600 tail-light housing that was cracking from the inside out at 14k miles? Luckily my dealer was on myside and took on Ford for that. Or my USB port issues? 5 visits, for one part at a time because Ford would only authorize one part at a time. Funny part, is that they started with the most expensive part, the APIM, when it was just the USB cable in the dash to the media port (which I tried to tell them, there just wasn't +5V)...