2022 10R80 Transmission Clunky

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2020ExpyPlatinum

Reaction score
2021 expedition 4 x 4 platinum and mine does the same thing. I took it in and surprise surprise no issue found.

put the vehicle in neutral and press the gas to rev the engine and it clunks as well. I put the vehicle in neutral one time doing around 35 mph and pushed the gas. Why would a transmission clunk severely when it is supposed to be in neutral? I have a 1999 grand cherokee that shifts better than this expedition

Expediter

Reaction score
yep...what VBreithaupt said: "Kind of a hard break and then acceleration, don't suggest anyone try it." that was the scenario for me when it happened (instead of on-ramp), someone swerves into my lane, I perform a hard brake and then an immediate acceleration to get out of the way and all heck breaks loose. Like your on-ramp situation, this was not an overtly wild driving situation, but after the times it happened, I find myself being very conscientious about creating any downshifting situations beyond a very delicate acceleration.

jera0005 thank you very much for the TSB reference regarding the low-speed driving, I will mention that to the service manager at my next service!​

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm at 47,000 miles now. hate to tell you, but it's going to go from a "little" clunky to a "LOT" clunky. 2020; same here. Clunks especially in low-speed driving through the neighborhood and around town. Wait until you go to pass someone and instead of downshifting the transmission completely misses whatever gear it was looking for, starts grinding and the engine power drops...thats's a real treat! I like everything else about my Expedition but this is extremely disappointing and concerning. Having spoken face to face with other 10 speed owners, this is a common problem and KNOWN (by Ford) problem but what makes it absolutely infuriating is that the dealer dishes out the old "we can't replicate it" excuse. I don't believe that. When you have multiple customers bringing in vehicles with the same symptoms you know there is truly an issue and you know what the problem is. The real concern is they may not be able to actually fix it.

I too have found with aggressive in town driving mine will shift hard down or up once in a while. Normal driving, I feel it is one of the smoothest shifting trans I have had. I have experienced what "Expediter" has experience twice, down shifting hard on a on ramp and it totally slip out, didn't experience any grinding with it. It just after a couple seconds shifted back in gear and never left a code or message. After the first time, I took mine in for another issue and told them about it, they ended up replacing some sensor unit( I will have to look up and update thread of exact part). 6 month passed, it happened again a couple weeks ago. Tried to duplicate it and couldn't. Kind of a hard break and then acceleration, don't suggest anyone try it. Both time on the on ramp for me, but usually normal driving down shift it doesn't happen.

The slipping into neutral problem is TSB 22-2145: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10214870-0001.pdf

I had it happen a couple of times on the road, and it was unnerving to say the least. Both times it happened during a downshift where the car shuttered, the engine revved like it was in neutral, and it clunked back into gear when I took my foot off the accelerator. After that it was fine for a couple of weeks before it happened again. I took it to the dealer and they fixed it without having to reproduce it based on this TSB.

nitrospring

Reaction score
Running 93 octane will definitely improve the shifting. I have a 2022 F150 and that’s all I run now. My wife has the 2019 Exp Limited and the 93 helped it, but the 5 Star Tune made it much better and took out the sloppy shifting. No tune available for the 22 and later yet, but should come out soon.

Rednecked

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Running 93 octane will definitely improve the shifting. I have a 2022 F150 and that’s all I run now. My wife has the 2019 Exp Limited and the 93 helped it, but the 5 Star Tune made it much better and took out the sloppy shifting. No tune available for the 22 and later yet, but should come out soon.
I agree a tune will fix most of your transmission problems. I had to take that route.

OP
OP
LazSlate

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seems the clunking is when its trying to find a gear when slowing down then you hit the gas. Guess that is a downside of these 10 speed trannies where the ratios are so close.

mdecillis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seems the clunking is when its trying to find a gear when slowing down then you hit the gas. Guess that is a downside of these 10 speed trannies where the ratios are so close.
Yes, that's exactly it. I even get it occasionally with my GT500 DCT.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am going to make a crazy suggestion. When you are backing up, come to a complete stop before rotating shift knob to drive.
I have a sense the transmission learns bad habits if you shift into drive while the truck is coasting backwards.
Can’t hurt to try.

Obviously this will not fix any mechanical issues with the tranny.

308Starr

Reaction score
I have had the same issue on my 2020 Expo Max Limited FX4 since I bought it new in June 2020. Going down a hill and taking my foot off of the gas as it slows down it down shifts a couple of gear like when I used to go into low gear on an automatic in a snowstorm. Mentioned it to the dealer at the 5K service. They didn’t find anything (of course) but at least I have it documented for whatever that’s worth. Annoying to pay north of 70K and have that happening