Expedition mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hudson76

Reaction score
I know this isn’t the best time to be looking at used vehicles with prices, supply and demand and all, but what would be considered too many miles on a 2019/2020 Expedition? Looking at used most have 55k + miles on them. These used one seem to have high mileage on them for no older than they are and or course the mileage affects pricing. Thanks.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Based on other Eco engines and my reading of others' experiences thus far on 4th gens, I would expect a 4th gen to need major repairs by 150k. That's all supposition though and just my 2 cents.

When it comes to any vehicle, "too many miles" for me would ultimately depend on how much I would be driving said vehicle. I drive ~20k year so if I only expect to get 100k out of a used vehicle that only gives me 5 years. It's all guesswork of course. No one ones if they'll get a lemon or a cherry.

khammer

Reaction score
I am currently looking at a 2018 with 82k on it for my wife. We are shopping the 3 row full size class (i.e. tahoe, suburban, escalade). I am a big fan of the expedition but it will be up to her.

As for mileage, the vehicles in our budget are 16-18 year range with 80K+ miles. The SUVs in this class should go 150K easy. This would be a 5 year car at most to get us through the small kid phase instead of a brand new super nice car right now to get trashed. My '15 3.5 eb F150 is over 100K and should not slow down anytime soon so I would expect the same for the 4th gen Exp.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would skip the 2018 and find 2019 due to plastic oil drain plug that has been leaking. Struts may be gone by now since it's 5 years old. At 80k miles, you need to change out a lot of fluids like rear diff, transfer case, brake fluids, and especially transmission fluids. Maintenance records are the main factor to buy these trucks used.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are looking for a three row full size SUV in the 2016-2018 model range, with 80,000+ miles on it, and plan on putting another 80,000 miles on it… there is only one thing that should be on your list. Toyota Sequoia. It will do that easily with zero maintenance bills beyond the normal oil changes, brakes and tires.

Do NOT buy a 2018 Expedition with 80,000 miles on it. You will regret it. Trust me. Amazing SUV? Yes. For sure. Will you be spending thousands of dollars at the dealership for major engine and drivetrain repairs? YES…yes you will. Bank on it.

Yeah I know. The Sequoia looks dated…. Looks like a bloated Tundra swallowed a watermelon… the technology is old and dated, the drivetrain is old… suck gas… blah blah…

whatever. They are supremely comfortable, and supremely reliable. And there are tons of them on the road with 200k, 300k… still no issues. There is no comparison really. Except maybe another Toyota, the LandCruiser… but the 3rd row on that one sucks.
If yo have your heart set on a 4th gen Expedition, i understand. I wa smitten with them also… I get it. But you should know what you are getting into. This is not a vehicle you keep beyond 100,000 miles, or 5 years. It will cost you a fricking fortune.

khammer

Reaction score
I would skip the 2018 and find 2019 due to plastic oil drain plug that has been leaking. Struts may be gone by now since it's 5 years old. At 80k miles, you need to change out a lot of fluids like rear diff, transfer case, brake fluids, and especially transmission fluids. Maintenance records are the main factor to buy these trucks used.

Struts would not be a big deal but I definitely would take a hard look and feel to see how they are especially if they are CCD struts as I imagine those are not cheap. Those fluids are a 150K scheduled item are they not?

If you are looking for a three row full size SUV in the 2016-2018 model range, with 80,000+ miles on it, and plan on putting another 80,000 miles on it… there is only one thing that should be on your list. Toyota Sequoia. It will do that easily with zero maintenance bills beyond the normal oil changes, brakes and tires.

Do NOT buy a 2018 Expedition with 80,000 miles on it. You will regret it. Trust me. Amazing SUV? Yes. For sure. Will you be spending thousands of dollars at the dealership for major engine and drivetrain repairs? YES…yes you will. Bank on it.

Yeah I know. The Sequoia looks dated…. Looks like a bloated Tundra swallowed a watermelon… the technology is old and dated, the drivetrain is old… suck gas… blah blah…

whatever. They are supremely comfortable, and supremely reliable. And there are tons of them on the road with 200k, 300k… still no issues. There is no comparison really. Except maybe another Toyota, the LandCruiser… but the 3rd row on that one sucks.
If yo have your heart set on a 4th gen Expedition, i understand. I wa smitten with them also… I get it. But you should know what you are getting into. This is not a vehicle you keep beyond 100,000 miles, or 5 years. It will cost you a fricking fortune.

Interesting input, thank you for the thought. I agree the Sequoia looks awful but I will take a gander and see if anything nearby. I looked into the Nissan Armadas for a brief moment but they only give you a bench seat or a console in the second row so that is a deal breaker (we like the captain chairs).

She likes the Escalades but I can see a '16-17 being a money pit as well. We may take a look at a 16 Suburban with 83K and great maintenance records. It is probably a crapshoot on any of these vehicles. May get lucky and have no issues or may be a disaster. I have been on the f150forum for years and its either the end of the world with the ford truck or greatest thing ever.

Emilner

Reaction score

The only single reason to buy a Sequoia is reliability. That's it, there are zero other reasons to buy it. Beyond reliability it comes in dead last for every single other category. I would consider it brutal torture to own and drive one...

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only single reason to buy a Sequoia is reliability. That's it, there are zero other reasons to buy it. Beyond reliability it comes in dead last for every single other category. I would consider it brutal torture to own and drive one...
That’s not far off. Unfortunately.

I have driven several, and it does have several good things going for it. You get the satisfying rumble of a V8.
It has VERY comfortable seating, and a very quiet, smooth ride. The second AND third row seats are every bit as roomy and comfortable as my Platinum Expy.
A Platinum trim Sequoia has the adjustable ride height in the back to compensate for heavy loads and towing. Something the Expy does NOT have.
AND, the rear window that can be lowered is pretty cool.

But beyond that, the Sequoia is very outdated.
Traditional key start.
column shifter
Very small touchscreen Nav on dash
technology and infotainment is very outdated.
But, the BluRay rear seat entertainment is at least hard wired to the car audio.. something Ford failed at.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I was buying new, compared to the Sequoia, the expedition was $10k cheaper with dealer discounts (for a way better level of refinement), saves $500 in gas per year, and had 0% Apr. That totaled to about $20k in direct savings over the Toyota product. When you factor in the interior refinement and the pleasure of having two turbos ;), then the Expedition was a waaay better bargain. I would say at least 30k cheaper over 10 years of ownership. That doesn’t factor maintenance/repair.

I was actually surprised that Ford sold that much of a car so cheaply. Any similar European vehicle with turbos is at least 40k more expensive.

I knew that I will have some hard part failures (and I did haha) over the span of ownership, but at the end the Expedition will still be significantly cheaper.

Last edited:

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I was buying new, compared to the Sequoia, the expedition was $10k cheaper with dealer discounts (for a way better level of refinement), saves $500 in gas per year, and had 0% Apr. That totaled to about $20k in direct savings over the Toyota product. When you factor in the interior refinement and the pleasure of having two turbos ;), then the Expedition was a waaay better bargain. I would say at least 30k cheaper over 10 years of ownership. That doesn’t factor maintenance/repair.

I was actually surprised that Ford sold that much of a car so cheaply. Any similar European vehicle with turbos is at least 40k more expensive.

I knew that I will have some hard part failures (and I did haha) over the span of ownership, but at the end the Expedition will still be significantly cheaper.

$80K for a truck that is very likely to take a giant s**t by the time it hits 150k miles isn't a bargain in my book. That's as much as some people in KY paid for a newer house and a couple acres of land. :p Also, the truck costs twice what it did in 2002. And yet the median income in the US in 2002 was $42,409 and today it's $44,225. :x