Expy is no more

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So my son was in an accident in the expy today. Hit on the front just in front of the passengers side wheel. Frame is bent. Posted speed limit is 20mph on this road. Just cannot believe the amount of damage to this vehicle as well as the bent frame if she was driving the speed limit. Couldn't even open the driver door. Everyone is ok, which is what is important.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad everyone is ok!!

To be honest; everything else is replacable. As long as life and limb is preserved, the rest doesn't matter.

OP
OP
T

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was a side hit, but I'm telling you the front end of the frame is moved 4" or more. I'm a little worried about the engine since the AC stuff is press edup against it and the fan is logged in the housing. Coolant leaked out but none of the hoses seemed broken and the radiator doesn't seem that bad. granted he took it on the side of the bumper but damn.

OP
OP
T

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely a little rust in the area around the radiator but seeing both sides of the frame bent sideways. The entire engine compartment is skewed. The overhead shot is an idea. the bottom of the picture should be pretty close to straight across.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most important is that everyone was okay....a huge advantage to driving an Expy! That's alot of damage for 20mph! The other vehicle must have been a truck to cause the damage so high up.

I was driving my first Expy, my '99 and a woman unfamiliar with the section of the highway where entrances occur on both sides at the same time froze up.....I had been looking at my phone (yes, this was 10 yrs ago b4 we knew how bad that was) and when I looked up, I was traveling 60mph directly towards a STOPPED Buick LaCrosse not 50ft in front of me. I quickly glanced to both sides desperately looking for an "out" as the anti-lock brakes were working to the max. I hit her at a solid 50mph, forcing her trunk into her back seat!

I was terrified that I had just killed another human being, fault be damned. I was so happy when I watched her get out of her car! She was a bit sore, evidently her knee had struck something. My truck suffered minimal damage....they replaced the 26 pieces of the bumper assembly but that was it. My headlights and grill were fine as was the radiator. I learned that there are two (1 on ea side) forward-facing big-ass I beams behind the bumper.....and they didn't move but one made a big hole in what was left of her bumper.

I really didn't care about the cars/truck....all I could think about was that she was okay....then my "reason" facilities kicked in and I videoed her walking around...just in case. My ins co called me nearly a year later...she never bothered to file a claim against my ins. company.....odd huh?

Again, glad your son was ok!! It certainly will be a Merry Christmas in your home!

jeff

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
20mph my arse. I told that same story every time I was in an accident when I was younger. :p Glad he's ok.

OP
OP
T

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
20mph my arse. I told that same story every time I was in an accident when I was younger. :p Glad he's ok.

He wasn't speeding. Its pretty obvious the lady that hit him had to be or simply wasn't paying attention. I live on this road and there are accidents there quite a bit. At 20 MPH I could have been just about right on him, seen him and stopped in plenty of time. Its clear to me that this person wasn't, was moving at a high rate of speed. She hit him, he stopped and she continued past his car. Passenger side frame is bent at 45 degrees. The drivers side is close to that. After going over this with my son a bit he told me that this person was delivery packages or mail. I did hear her say she had to speak to her supervisor. Leads me to believe she was using a personal vehicle to deliver mail and it wouldn't surprise me if she ws looking up directions and not paying attention.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1