Expy / SUV Camping set-up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I've camped under the stars, in hasty shelters, dug outs etc. and of course in tents. They all have their benefits, but when my wife and I just want to get away for an overnighter or two with our youngest I'd rather go high speed, low drag and not have to put too much time into the bivouac site. Park and sleep...
What do you guys that camp in your Expy have for set-ups? I was thinking of building a lightweight platform like I've seen so I can throw a full mattress on top and be comfortable with storage underneath. The full fits nicely. We used one for a night in the Outer Banks a couple of weeks ago. The only tricky thing with the platform I want to build is I'll want a hinge so I can leave at least one back seat up while traveling for my youngest. The full is a few inches longer than the distance between the tailgate and the back of the second row seats.
I picked up a couple of different window tents for air circulation. I'm going to give them a test fit this weekend and decide which one I'll keep. I'm leaning towards the one that came as a pair versus the Roadie brand that come as a single for the same price. I don't like how it covers the whole door either. I'll have to see if it's a better design though.

Roadie Overnighter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XX3H5XL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Easygo Road Tripper

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KS8GKXH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know, seems like a pretty useless idea, as the truck is not very secure at night with those big "tent" openings (both from quadrupedal and bipedal predators).

If it were me, I'd get standard window deflectors on all 4 windows (already have them installed) and just roll the windows down 1/3 of the way at night. You can stick on some temporary mosquitoe net with stick on velcro, probably for under $10 from a hardware store...

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, but just looking at what other guys are doing.
As for security? More secure than a tent wouldn't you say? I'm not worried about the security aspects of this.
Just put the windows down? That's funny... I can hear the buzzing of mosquitoes and rain coming in now with or without my rain deflectors.
Storage isn't an issue. We're talking about just crashing for the night.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, but just looking at what other guys are doing.
As for security? More secure than a tent wouldn't you say? I'm not worried about the security aspects of this.
Just put the windows down? That's funny... I can hear the buzzing of mosquitoes and rain coming in now with or without my rain deflectors.
Storage isn't an issue. We're talking about just crashing for the night.

Get those silly-looking pantyhose-bag-over-door "window shades" for the mosquitoes issue?

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
This is what I ended up getting. It's perfect for what I need. It takes 30 seconds to attach if you're going slow and it's made of decent quality tent materials. The only thing I don't like is that it covers the whole door. It's necessary though for sealing.

20190906_183940.jpg
20190906_183947.jpg
20190906_184000.jpg
20190906_184005.jpg
20190906_184011.jpg

SomeENG

Reaction score
I got a roll of screen and some very thin wood material (called screen trim or something).

Just stuffed the sticks in the window track over the screen.

It's pictured in my avatar pic, but it's impossible to see due to picture quality.