Expy vs. F250

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lets say we care comparing similar years, in this case a '99 expy and F250. Both equipped with a 5.4, 4R100 Trans and the same 9.75 Rear end.
What would be the difference in running gear and how it relates to towing.
I have been bouncing around the idea of moving up to an F250 for towing but not a diesel because of the cost of maintence so with staying with an F250 with a 5.4 what would be the advantage, if any over an expy. I know stiffer springs but anything else I am overlooking?

B

bedrck46

the best answer I can give you would be to look up the specs on both the expy and the f250 to see what they are rated at for towing you can download the owners manual for both at owner.ford.com

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I live on the gas and diesel side. To answer your question without bias I have to ask: how often are you towing and at what weight and how far? What are your mechanic abilities also?
The 7.3 Navistar is a bullet proof motor if well maintained, not that bad if somewhat neglected. But a money pit if totally neglected. The bus barn I worked at have had the 7.3's last 250,000+ before needing engine work. Usual repairs are waterpumps and injectors. The DT608 Inline 6 I would take in a heartbeat, but they weren't offered in the expy. I would consider the 7.3 engines somewhat neglected due to ignorance but we won't go there. With tip top maintenance I would expect longer timeframe before going into them. If you want more info pm me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jay87LX

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't tow frequently, maybe a couple times a year and it is my 6x12 aluminum enclosed trailer with a Harley in it, so no real weight to speak of but when I do tow it is from Mass all the way down 95 to Myrtle Beach and I plan on doing Daytona bike week as well. so really the weight I pull the Expy is capable of pulling.
My concern is when I was on the highway it seems that to do 65mph I need to be driving with the OD off to keep the RPM's up so I have some power. If I let the OD kick in it seems like I don't have the power and it is always shifting down to stay in the power band.
I know the drivetrain is damn near bullet proof. I keep my truck fairly well maintained. Also on one trip to SC I just shut the OD off and the RPM's stayed at near 3K for a good distance, maybe 100 miles, when I was on a straight flat part of the road I would kick in OD but other than that I was all out. At one point I pulled over to get fuel and I swear it sounded like the ATF was boiling-lol
So I started to look at maybe getting a newer truck, mine is a 99 with 130K and would like to get rid of it while it is still running good but as I said I would shy away from a diesel as I would think that they are costly to maintain. I watched some youtube vids and there is a guy from "powerstrokehelp.com" with some vids and he is talking about buying a used diesel and needing to put several thousand into it to make it reliable and bulletproof.
IDK, really kind of thinking out loud. I would love a diesel but like I said I think they are costly to repair as I know NOTHING about them.
As far as mechanical ability I am fairly mechanically inclined and wont shy away from doing my own work if I can

B

bedrck46

when I tow I don't care to use OD as I seems to do to much shifting.
You should consider getting a blue tooth OBD II device and the torque pro app so you can keep tabs on your trans temp. for use with a smart phone or tablet
You may also want to consider a larger trans cooler if your concerned about the temps

BIG GREEN FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pull a 2500 pound trailer with a 5000 pound jeep/buggy for 260 miles round trip and I do it every few weeks (hunting,mud jam,mud fest) and it barely goes down an inch in the back and never have a problem with brakes or power. My gear ratio is 3.77 limited slip. Brown wire mod, gotts mod, silencer deleted mod, and throttle body spacer.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've heard the 5.4 is a small engine for the 250. I'd look into that before deciding.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have found that to tow with OD off, you really can't do much more than 60mph. Also, while weight may not be too much an issue, aerodynamics might be. If it is taller than the expy, consider an air foil on top. It is amazing what properly flowing air can do.

I also second the notion of an external trans cooler. If you don't have the hd towing package in your expy, consider retro fitting it. The 3.73 gears and trans cooler make a world of difference in mine. And it is well over 230k on original motor and trans.

One last thing I would point out, is that the F-250 is subject to the death wobble due to the solid front axle. YouTube that and that should answer your question right there haha.

Sent from the Pocket Computer

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The videos on powerstroke may have been for the 6.0 diesel. It is a bad ass diesel with major flaws in it. The 7.3 is considerably more forgiving but only offered till 03.
You need to drive each of them, gas and diesel, to feel the difference. There are some here in the south that refer to the 7.3 as a stump puller. If you really want to be sold try the diesel excursion.
I love both the gas and diesel motors but can't justify a need for the diesel as I rarely tow.
One of the mechanic's I worked with has a F250 diesel with the 7.3. He knows the importance of proper maintenance and does so accordingly. In the 2.5 years of working with him the only problem he had was the alternator.
Should you consider one make sure it has a block heater for winter use. Test drive the vehicle as long as the engine is cold. There is a "wait to start" lamp that comes on prior to starting that should be followed. A cold engine will force the glow plug circuit to come on and show any problems if present.

Last edited:

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
If you're towing, you really do need to pick up a programmer (edge, my preference).

It will drastically improve shifting, and make towing a much more enjoyable experience.