Expy won't start after brake bleed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phydeaux

Reaction score
Good evening. I have caused myself an unusual problem and I don't know what or how I did it. I bled the brakes and now the Expy won't start. No electrical power anywhere.

This is what I did:
Turned the ignition to On but not Run. Pumped the brake pedal several times then rested weight against it. Turned everything else off - a/c, stereo, auto exterior lights, interior lights. Closed the doors. Bled the brakes. Got distracted by my wife asking for help and left the vehicle. Hours later she went in the garage and came back asking about a ticking sound.

I go out to inspect. I hear a rapid-fire ticking sound -- several times a second. I check under the hood and touch all the relays. A tow connector relay is vibrating, so I pull it. All other relays are not vibrating, and the sound disappears. I then check all the under hood fuses and see a 20A cig lighter fuse blown. I pull that too. All other under hood fuses are ok.

I then notice the headlights are flashing very dimly on the wall. I open the door and hear a muffled rapid-fire ticking. I pull the passenger fuse panel cover and it gets louder. I touch the big relay in there and it is not vibrating. I pull the relay anyway but the sound continues. I test every fuse and they are all ok.

I cannot find what is ticking inside the car. If I turn the key to On, the ticking stops. When I take the key out, the ticking resumes. I tested the battery connected, and it showed 6+V. I disconnected the positive cable and it shows 12+V. (Naturally, the ticking stops w/ the battery disconnected.) I now have a wall charger on it just in case (+ cable still off though).

I do not remember touching anything under the car or under the hood and unintentionally completing a circuit. My 1st thought was that by leaving the key in On, I had drained the battery. Now I'm not sure. I hope I didn't screw up the ECU. Is there another relay or two hidden inside the passenger compartment?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would take voltage readings again. To bring a 12v battery down to 6v with a load applied indicates a high amount of current draw. The clicking sound is an indication of low voltage.
You have electrical power if the relay is clicking - just not enough.

Get the user manual so that you can look up the different relays and what their purpose is. That way you can state specifically which relay & circuit is in question.

There are relays all over in the cabin.

OP
OP
P

phydeaux

Reaction score
Thanks for responding to my question. I did check the battery again and it is now at 12.5V. I connected the + cable back to it and attempted to start. It nearly turned over.

After doing some more research online, I now think it's the battery. It's over 4 years old. So it may have already been on its last legs, and my maintenance today pushed it over the edge. I'll let it charge overnight and try to start it again.

I also learned how to test a relay tonight. :) The tow connector relay I pulled is good.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you haven't swapped the battery yet, put the meter leads on the battery posts and have someone try to start the car after the battery is charged. I use a lower limit of 10.5v before condeming the battery. The normal limit is 9.6v at 80F depending on who you talk to. Yes I could get a little longer life from the battery but I could also get stuck somewhere.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was it sitting for a while with the key turned to ON and weight still on the brake pedal? I'd say it wouldn't take all that long to drain down the battery with the brake lights on that whole time. Definitely just sounds like the battery.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When an expy dont start, FIRST step:

Pop trunk, pop off trim cover marked Fuel Reset (drivers side rear, below third row seatbelt), find big button underneath....press and hold for a few seconds

Then try starting the truck

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When an expy dont start, FIRST step:

Pop trunk, pop off trim cover marked Fuel Reset (drivers side rear, below third row seatbelt), find big button underneath....press and hold for a few seconds

Then try starting the truck

May be good advice it the symptoms call for it.

But in this case the OP states "No electrical power anywhere."

So in this case if you reset the Fuel Reset and then try to start The expy still won't start due to no power anywhere.

What would be your next suggestion

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
May be good advice it the symptoms call for it.

But in this case the OP states "No electrical power anywhere."

So in this case if you reset the Fuel Reset and then try to start The expy still won't start due to no power anywhere.

What would be your next suggestion

I'm just saying that AFTER replacing whatever the heck got diagnosed as blown or dead, if it still don't work, try that, and only THEN move on to buying more stuff to replace

Like: I replaced a battery, no dice... remembered seeing a weird switch under a panel in the back, Googled it, tried it, mission accomplished

If I towed it to a stealership... I'd be replacing half the trucks systems I'm sure

So fuze swapped? Try it. Something else swapped? Try it. Etc