Extended warranty, waste of money or worth it, 2017?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Generally nothing is worth extending the guarantee, it is just they getting money and nothing but money
Because when you really need them, you will find that no one will give you for what you paid
I agree, they make money on those warrantees and some people get lucky and win out but most don't. I would never buy one.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Generally nothing is worth extending the guarantee, it is just they getting money and nothing but money
Because when you really need them, you will find that no one will give you for what you paid

actually, it turns out you didn't pay for anything you might actually need. it sounds good, but there's nothing there.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I got it on my 17 Platinum when I bought her. It extends the bumper to bumper out to 100,000. I had this truck modified for my disabled son, so I won't be rolling this one over for a long time. it's insurance, you hope you don't need it but pay for it just in case.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree, they make money on those warrantees and some people get lucky and win out but most don't. I would never buy one.

Mine was included as part of the CPO process. I paid $700-750 for the CPO with the knowledge that they would have to replace the tires in order for it to be certified (I measured tread depth before signing the papers.). Considering a set of the Pirellis are about $650 at Sam's Club even when they're doing the free install + rebate promo, I was only gambling $50-100. Considering how much tech is on a Limited, I was nearly certain something would go wrong in the next 25K miles. I also know that I don't take anyone's shit, so if I had to fight to get what was owed, I would (and I did have to fight for much of it). Anyway, if you're paying, say, $1,500 or less for the Ford ESP warranty on a Limited or Platinum, I think getting your money's worth is pretty much a sure thing as long as you aren't afraid to chase after it if need be. Running boards, climate control, climate-controlled seats, power windows/sunroof ... something WILL go before 100K.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
ManUporShutUp, your tech comment is exactly why I did the same with my Platinum. I can handle anything problematic with the drive train, it's all the bells and whistles that had me concerned over the long run.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I doubt all those that don’t feel extended warranty is worthwhile would never walk around wo health insurance.

Extended warranties are insurance. If you’re caught without it you could be ruined financially.

On a 2017 any repair on that eco is gonna pay for the insurance.

It comes down to how much financial risk you’re willing to take.

Pay now or pay later but pay you will one way or another.

My vote is buy the warranty.

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As I said before, peace of mind is big for me. I paid $1800 for mine and if I don't use it up, maybe only have $1200 worth of work, then that $600 I lost spread over 4 years of PoM is still worth it. I hate owning a vehicle I'm afraid to drive any significant distance from home. But...I'll be 66 next month. My thinking is different from 40 years ago...

BlueStangGT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've shopped for extended warranties but my conclusion was to buy it from Ford and shop all the dealers you can. Some will sell at a greater discount than others.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've shopped for extended warranties but my conclusion was to buy it from Ford and shop all the dealers you can. Some will sell at a greater discount than others.
That's one thing you really have to do your homework on and read the fine print...…….not for me.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2010 Explorer with 71K miles. After a couple of years it stated throwing some phaser codes and chugging a few times. The problem went away, but just before reaching 100K miles I bought a four year, 40,000 mile drivetrain warranty on-line from Ford. A kind fellow came by to inspect, which consisted of photographing the VIN and coming along for a mile-long ride. The cost was $1300.

Now the car has 109,000 miles and the transmission's slipping in second gear. The front differential seal's leaking and from time to time the V-8 makes some ungodly bearing racket.

I never owned a warranty in my life.

Think they'll make a lot of money on me?