Extended warranty, waste of money or worth it, 2017?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
Where'd you even FIND 16 grand worth of work to do on a V8????
you seem to think the ENTIRE vehicle is the engine?
news flash: that's just the engine ... there are other parts to an Expedition

CharlesP

Reaction score
One word makes it worth considering: Phasers

We tow a lot with ours, so the warranty seemed worth it to me...

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you seem to think the ENTIRE vehicle is the engine?
news flash: that's just the engine ... there are other parts to an Expedition

Nah

But it's a Ford and it shares a ton of parts with other Fords.

Pre-Ecoboost, most stuff was dirt cheap vs. other makes and models

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always read the extended coverage when it's offered. in every case, I've never bought the extended coverage because of the the exclusions.
my wife, on the other hand, always buys all the coverage available; it makes her feel better. it has paid for one alternator so far. She is always convinced she has gotten a great deal on every car she has ever bought, without having done any research or comparison shopping. the only time she has been unhappy was when one dealer sold us a used lemon that died the same year we got it, a used pimped out tempo with faulty gauges. they took it back on favorable terms since 1 week before the engine ate itself, i took it to get checked because my wife thought it was acting funny. they totally missed the faulty water pump and equally faulty, lying, coolant temperature gauge.

We gave it back to them in trade for another "used" car and then got one of the best cars we ever had in a great deal, a 1999 Merc Gran Marquis as a dealer rep car. had it for eleven years, the only problems it ever had were 1) a squirrel ate the air filter, 2) that same Chicago winter a battery cable snapped off, and finally, a year before we sold it, the front ball joints fell out.

OBTW, after the squirrel built a nest in the air cleaner, on the next startup, the car ate the squirrel. The only necessary repair was to remove shredded squirrel and nest from the intake and install a new air filter. That's it - nothing else broke. I was expecting at least a bent valve, but nada.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do these coverages have stipulations that keep vehicle owners from taking advantage? Can you buy insurance when your transmission is slipping and then have it rebuilt the next day?

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I always read the extended coverage when it's offered. in every case, I've never bought the extended coverage because of the the exclusions.
my wife, on the other hand, always buys all the coverage available; it makes her feel better. it has paid for one alternator so far. She is always convinced she has gotten a great deal on every car she has ever bought, without having done any research or comparison shopping. the only time she has been unhappy was when one dealer sold us a used lemon that died the same year we got it, a used pimped out tempo with faulty gauges. they took it back on favorable terms since 1 week before the engine ate itself, i took it to get checked because my wife thought it was acting funny. they totally missed the faulty water pump and equally faulty, lying, coolant temperature gauge.

We gave it back to them in trade for another "used" car and then got one of the best cars we ever had in a great deal, a 1999 Merc Gran Marquis as a dealer rep car. had it for eleven years, the only problems it ever had were 1) a squirrel ate the air filter, 2) that same Chicago winter a battery cable snapped off, and finally, a year before we sold it, the front ball joints fell out.

OBTW, after the squirrel built a nest in the air cleaner, on the next startup, the car ate the squirrel. The only necessary repair was to remove shredded squirrel and nest from the intake and install a new air filter. That's it - nothing else broke. I was expecting at least a bent valve, but nada.

I picture your motor making the same face as whatever is in your avatar as it devoured the squirell...

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do these coverages have stipulations that keep vehicle owners from taking advantage? Can you buy insurance when your transmission is slipping and then have it rebuilt the next day?

If the vehicle is outside the 36k mile warranty it has to be inspected before the coverage will take effect.

Jamo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine had an extensive inspection before they would sell me the warranty. I had a coolant leak at the rear A/C along the frame and they wouldn't approve me until it was fixed. I still had my 30 day from the dealer I bought it from (Oneonta Ford), and they were great about fixing it...two hours away, they picked up the EL and left me a loaner, then swapped them when fixed. Great service, but not my local dealer who happens to be a good friend (Fenton Ford). I bought the warranty through him...

Valk

Reaction score
I purchased a 2012 king ranch el and my wife pushed me in getting the warranty even though it only had 71k miles. It was a Ford Warrenty and paid for itself x10. Had both running boards replaced, rear heated seats, the air ride compressor, wheel bearing for the traction sensor, both dvd head rests. All those were almost $10k so most definitely paid for itself and what was crazy this was in the first 3 months of buying the vehicle.

sulatek

Reaction score
We have 33000 miles on our 2017 limited EL. Bought in Sept 2017. From my understanding we have to 36000 miles or Sept to buy an extended warranty. When we were buying the dealer pushed hard to buy their warranty which wasn't a Ford factory, so after market, we said no.

Most of what I have read said extended warranties aren't worth the money. The expedition is our secondary vehicle so we only use for longer trips and hauling ski gear etc. I might be changing jobs so could be commuting more, but that's what the commuter car is for.

Read 1 in 8 get there money out of an extended warranty

Generally nothing is worth extending the guarantee, it is just they getting money and nothing but money
Because when you really need them, you will find that no one will give you for what you paid