F150 Lightning Reveal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JasonH

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No one has mentioned or maybe thought far enough ahead about rare situations where we have gas lines because of some event.... (hurricane evacuation, shortages,hackers,power outages, etc.....) What are the 30 min. Per car waiting lines gonna be like??? And are they going to cause more problems like power grid crashing in areas because of over demand? These are some real world questions I think.

That's a real consideration because hurricanes and flooding seem to be getting worse in some areas, including here in Houston. But I think most people considering these vehicles have multiple cars. The other thing is that we usually have ample warning before a storm kills the power. I told my wife we're hitching up and heading to San Antonio or Dallas if a hurricane is aiming for Houston. But it's really a grid resilience question. When the power is out in a large region, like what happened in February, the pumps don't work either. I'll probably get solar eventually, so I can be completely off grid if needed.

OP
OP
JasonH

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ta
No one has mentioned or maybe thought far enough ahead about rare situations where we have gas lines because of some event.... (hurricane evacuation, shortages,hackers,power outages, etc.....) What are the 30 min. Per car waiting lines gonna be like??? And are they going to cause more problems like power grid crashing in areas because of over demand? These are some real world questions I think.

Take the Expedition, lol. The other 99% of the time you can enjoy the EV fuel savings. I keep my Expedition parked as much as possible and try to preserve the wear and tear for towing miles.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can’t
GM's announcement to be all EV is probably just a gimmick to get some activist investor funds off their back.
I can’t imagine how many charging stations per car that would be needed. If we went to all EV’s we would need acres of chargers at each interstate fueling station to at least allow each car to get in and out in 30 minutes. It doesn’t seem possible to me. People would definitely be traveling by train or plane a whole lot more. Maybe solar panels built into the car body’s to help out somewhat. We need to watch what we wish for here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JasonH

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Ford has been reasonably conservative with its range estimates. For EVs, towing has a substantially greater impact as compared to hauling. Hauling makes a difference in frequent stop and go, but range isn't an issue with stop and go traffic on EVs. When towing, the aerodynamic drag has the largest impact on range. At low speeds, they far exceed range estimates. The number Marques saw are probably inflated because I doubt that truck was doing much highway driving. I think this thing will sell like hotcakes, especially to fleets and tradesmen.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 300 mile range is the only thing I don’t like. Up that to 400 and you are doing some
hitting.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The US utility grid won't be able to keep up with charging all these EV in the coming years. Will the US build more nuke plants? No. Then the renewables won't be able to do it.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

exactly correct. As well, for me, the deal breaker is the comparatively longer time to 'refuel'. Until you can restore your charge as fast as filling up a gas tank, there will be limited use for these toys.