Fading break pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kramerpage

Reaction score
While backing out of the driveway this morning the brake pedal went completely to the floor. It kind of scared me because I wasn't ready for it and I haven't had coffee yet.

I recently had new brake lines installed from the output of the ABS to all four wheels and also installed for new rubber hoses. When I receive the vehicle from the mechanic the pedal had top end play but it didn't fade if that makes sense.

So I went to Harbor Freight and got a bleeder that you hook up to the air compressor and did all four wheel cylinders I got small fine bubbles out of the right rear the left rear was fine the right front find the left front it was weird I got a lot of bubbles and the bubbles never stopped.

I have no idea where do you even start as far as troubleshooting. The vehicle stops fine it's stops straight it doesn't pull it's just about 2in of pedal before it even begins to break so if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it thanks.
2006 expedition 5.3

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
While backing out of the driveway this morning the brake pedal went completely to the floor. It kind of scared me because I wasn't ready for it and I haven't had coffee yet.

I recently had new brake lines installed from the output of the ABS to all four wheels and also installed for new rubber hoses. When I receive the vehicle from the mechanic the pedal had top end play but it didn't fade if that makes sense.

So I went to Harbor Freight and got a bleeder that you hook up to the air compressor and did all four wheel cylinders I got small fine bubbles out of the right rear the left rear was fine the right front find the left front it was weird I got a lot of bubbles and the bubbles never stopped.

I have no idea where do you even start as far as troubleshooting. The vehicle stops fine it's stops straight it doesn't pull it's just about 2in of pedal before it even begins to break so if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it thanks.
2006 expedition 5.3

Have it towed back to the mechanic and have him fix the vehicle correctly.

OP
OP
kramerpage

kramerpage

Reaction score
I drove it over 1000 miles with out issue. I don't believe I could pin it on his work or not. Hence I bleed the brakes thinking maybe he missed something.

OP
OP
kramerpage

kramerpage

Reaction score
I drove the vehicle today and it stops fine. when I went to park and applied brake and placed in park the pedal went to the floor. Any Ideas? Brake fluid level has not moved. Could it be air in abs unit from installing new lines? Can I disconnect master cylinder lines and place a threaded plug in both outputs from the master cylinder to determine if its the MC?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drove the vehicle today and it stops fine. when I went to park and applied brake and placed in park the pedal went to the floor. Any Ideas? Brake fluid level has not moved. Could it be air in abs unit from installing new lines? Can I disconnect master cylinder lines and place a threaded plug in both outputs from the master cylinder to determine if its the MC?

Any vehicle with an ABS braking system must have the ABS unit bled when replacing brake fluid and/or brake lines.

Ford’s hand held computer tool enables the technician to operate the shutter valves in the ABS module to remove and air in the module. On GM vehicles, the technician uses a GM Tech II, hand held device to operate the valves.

I believe the brake system was not properly bled the first or second time. There may be another defect in the system also.

You are endangering yourself, your passengers and other motorists by driving the vehicle KNOWING there is a serious brake problem

I still believe having it towed to a qualified brake mechanic to be repaired is the most prudent course of action.

PS - When traveling to or through Columbus, my wife and I always stop and eat at Schmidt’s Sausage Haus in the German Village.

OP
OP
kramerpage

kramerpage

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight...Love to be SCOLDED like a child. Geee Thanks

I have an appointment august 5th . I would like to attempt the repair myself if its the MC but I dont throw parts at vehicles so I posted here.

Schmidts went down hill after the owner died and his lazy son took over over 12 years ago. Place is horrible and filthy. Just sayin...

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight...Love to be SCOLDED like a child. Geee Thanks

I have an appointment august 5th . I would like to attempt the repair myself if its the MC but I dont throw parts at vehicles so I posted here.

Schmidts went down hill after the owner died and his lazy son took over over 12 years ago. Place is horrible and filthy. Just sayin...

It’s been quite some time since we visited Columbus and ate at Schmidt’s. We must have got lucky - as I don’t remember a bad experience. Thanks for the heads-up.

Good luck with your vehicle. I own a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4.

OP
OP
kramerpage

kramerpage

Reaction score
Thanks. I checked vacuum, booster and MC seal when I removed master cylinder. Pedal hard when vacuum hose disconnected.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmdunham2