Fan clutch stuck on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I'm confused are talking about a mechanical clutch turned by the belt or an electrical fan?

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Talking about converting a belt driven fan into an electric fan because the clutch is stuck on.

Just picked up the new clutch today. Goes on tomorrow.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So curious, what's the issues with the flex a lite dual fan setup, model 470? Does it crap out? Or is it lacking on cooling, shouldn't be as big as the fans are!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is some opinion that aftermarket electric fans aren't nearly as reliable as OEM electric fans. And when they fail, you get no cooling at all at low vehicle speed. When a mechanical fan clutch fails, it typically fails in the engaged position- you get tons of cooling just a lot of noise.

I haven't seen anything particular about the Flex-a-lite fans.

Also read several cases of an electric fan not cooling as well as the mechanical fan it replaced. However, I wonder if the electric fan was not used with a shroud. A shroud is key for the fan to actually draw air through the radiator.

I have no doubt that the Flex-a-lite kit would work great. However, $500 just seemed like a little much when I could also fix my problem for $60 for a new fan clutch.

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The more I read I think I might use a pusher e-fan on the front of the radiator for low speed ( low RPM ) controlled by a toggle switch for off-roading. This is where my clutch usually engages and I lose HP and torque. Thoughts?

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
New fan clutch is installed. I no longer sound like a 737 trying to take off.

Today is 20 degrees cooler than the last couple days. AC performance had been great with the old fan clutch. Today it was windows down.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The fan only engages below 30 mph. Mine was occasionally loud, when first starting cold.