Fan clutch stuck on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so my next chapter of fan related issues takes me to the engine fan.

I was driving home yesterday, going up the eastern approach to the Eisenhower Tunnel while running 4000 rpms and 70 mph for most of that run. It's a steep, 2000 foot climb over just a couple miles- 9100 feet to 11,100 feet.

Then I basically coasted down to Idaho Springs- because it's all downhill....... Anyway, once back on the gas to climb Floyd Hill near Denver, the roar of the engine fan was super loud and engine/transmission temps were within normal ranges. I figured it might "reset" itself once it was parked overnight. Nope. And it sat all day at work and is still super loud on the way home.

I replaced the fan clutch with a heavy duty clutch almost 2 years and 38k miles ago. It was a Hayden 2917.

On a typical day, the clutch would stay engaged until I got above about 30 mph, then it would disengage and really I'd never hear it again.

Anyone had a similar experience with their fan clutch?

I'm thinking of doing an e-fan conversion. It should free up some power/torque and could improve economy. Any thoughts on this?

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think it's a great idea. I would like to do the same. Don't like the power loss I feel when I'm off-roading and the fan clutch kicks in. I'll need some schooling on what fan to go with. Please advise if you go that route.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: clutch seems to have “unstuck” itself during the morning commute. All is normal for now.

Still may entertain the electric fan thing. Flex-a-lite has a kit. Decent reviews on summitracing.com. Kinda pricey at $530 though.

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The more I read about e fans off road the more I lean towards mechanical. May look at a larger radiator.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tom theirs a vendor on Ebay that's selling the model 470 dual fan your thinking about. He's selling at $495.00 delivered. Not a huge savings, but hey $35.00 is a half tank of gas. You supposedly gain 15 horsepower, and 1-2 mpg increase. We have the same Suv, mine gets 10mpg city, so a little bump in grade pulling, and $7.00 to $10.00 at fill up ain't bad. Would make up for the $500 clams you fork out up front. Anyway saw it trolling EBay. Free shipping too!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score