Fancy!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jskane125

Reaction score
Camper is 5700lb dry. We got about 8.5mpg on the trip to Michigan. That's about normal. A bit lower than I would like, but that's what you get with a 3.5 engine and dual turbos. Larger engine and diesel would get about 10-12pmg or so.

Be sure you check tongue weight. I was over a few hundred pounds and remedied that. Also that you camper is level to the truck when hitched up - that helps keep swaying down (if you are too high).

It pulls like a charm. We have hit the hills on north central PA a few times - lots of up and down and windy roads. No issues at all with handling those hills. Same with hitting the highway from a ramp - I can be at 60mph+ pretty quickly. I usually don't exceed 65.

Hope this helps.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Camper is 5700lb dry. We got about 8.5mpg on the trip to Michigan. That's about normal. A bit lower than I would like, but that's what you get with a 3.5 engine and dual turbos. Larger engine and diesel would get about 10-12pmg or so.

Be sure you check tongue weight. I was over a few hundred pounds and remedied that. Also that you camper is level to the truck when hitched up - that helps keep swaying down (if you are too high).

It pulls like a charm. We have hit the hills on north central PA a few times - lots of up and down and windy roads. No issues at all with handling those hills. Same with hitting the highway from a ramp - I can be at 60mph+ pretty quickly. I usually don't exceed 65.

Hope this helps.
By any chance, do you have the transmission temperature during towing? My trailer is 4300lbs wet, and I got 10 mpg with my RAM 1500 5.7 HEMI engine.

Jskane125

Reaction score
I don't have it in front of me, but I have the engine temperature as one of my widgets on the Expedition dashboard. I've not see any issue with engine temperature. Maybe if I were going across the Rockies.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
By any chance, do you have the transmission temperature during towing? My trailer is 4300lbs wet, and I got 10 mpg with my RAM 1500 5.7 HEMI engine.
I had a jeep commander with the hemi and at that time I had a 21' camper that maxed out weighed 5000lbs. The Jeep with the Hemi would get about 10-11mpg towing that trailer. Most typical pull was Salt Lake to Moab, or Salt Lake to St. George Utah. When we got our 2019 Expedition the same trips we would see 11-12mpg. We wrecked the 2019 and now have a 2020 Platinum and with that same trailer we saw a slight decrease in mpg all across the board. On those same trips we would see 10-11mpg. We now have a bigger camper. Rockwood Roo 233s, I haven't taken it to the scales but it is probably close to the 6300lbs wet weight. It is wider and taller than our last camper. I am seeing 8.5-9.5 when towing this new camper.

I had a slightly warm condition (230ish) cresting a steep mountain pass (8000+ feet) in mid-80 degree weather pushing it at 65mph. Never had temp issues in this location with the smaller camper.

The big difference for me between the Hemi and the Ecoboost is the gas mileage not towing. The hemi never got much better than about 15 on the highway and around town was 11-12. I can get 18mpg with the bike rack and 7 bikes doing 80.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a jeep commander with the hemi and at that time I had a 21' camper that maxed out weighed 5000lbs. The Jeep with the Hemi would get about 10-11mpg towing that trailer. Most typical pull was Salt Lake to Moab, or Salt Lake to St. George Utah. When we got our 2019 Expedition the same trips we would see 11-12mpg. We wrecked the 2019 and now have a 2020 Platinum and with that same trailer we saw a slight decrease in mpg all across the board. On those same trips we would see 10-11mpg. We now have a bigger camper. Rockwood Roo 233s, I haven't taken it to the scales but it is probably close to the 6300lbs wet weight. It is wider and taller than our last camper. I am seeing 8.5-9.5 when towing this new camper.

I had a slightly warm condition (230ish) cresting a steep mountain pass (8000+ feet) in mid-80 degree weather pushing it at 65mph. Never had temp issues in this location with the smaller camper.

The big difference for me between the Hemi and the Ecoboost is the gas mileage not towing. The hemi never got much better than about 15 on the highway and around town was 11-12. I can get 18mpg with the bike rack and 7 bikes doing 80.
Thanks! The 180F thermostat (RT1258) may help for this case. RT1258 is categorized as 190F online, but 82C is clearly printed on the part, which is equal to 180F.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Scared to death now....
After driving fully featured and decked out Nissan Titan's from the day they came on the market, never needed to put a wrench on any of them for any repairs, a guy walked up to me asking if my 14 year old Titan was for sale. He offered cash, way more the I thought the truck was worth, I took it on an instant. Now as chance would have it my daughter in Law pulled up with a 2019 Expedition Platinum Max, as I was pondering what to buy next. I was very impressed with that beautiful comfortable SUV. I am now also own a 2019 white Platinum, fully optioned out and absolutely love it. Then I made the mistake to started checking out youtube and this forum, to learn about this vehicle and I am instantly worried after reading all about cam phaser's and miriate other quirks this vehicle seems to have. I love driving it and admire the beautiful design but hope the gremlins stay away and don't have to meet a mechanic by name.....

You should have held on to that Nissan bra.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
No "cam phaser" issues with either my 2007 (175,000ish miles) or my 2017 (only 35,000 miles).

As noted folks post exceptions or problems. Otherwise we'd see thousands of "no problems today" posts here and any other forum or Facebook thingie.

-- Chuck

No cam phaser or VVT explosions here either...oh wait... my 1st gen doesn't have that shit.

JerryT

Reaction score
My wife bought our 1998 expy brand new in 98. We are the only owners, it has 206,000 miles on it and we plan to keep it forever. Everything on it works, she is easy to maintain, as I do all the work on it myself. It is roomy, comfortable, handles well, (especially with new tires and shocks) and we use it to haul just about anything one could imagine. We also have a 2022 Cadillac as a back vehicle

cbphotoguy1

Reaction score
Hey All Agree with posts that there is a great deal of negative posts here but I am nothing but happy with my 2020 MaxExpedition Limited. I had one rented when we wrote off our new Ram and loved it so much I sprung for one. Had a Ford Flex for years that I worked to death with minimal problems. I drive halfway across Canada every month or so and this vehicle is the most comfortable I have ever owned for my big family. We also have an Audi S4, a Mini Cooper S and VW GTI but I typically end up taking the Max because the seats are extremely comfortable for my beamy girth, B and O sound cannot be beat and the 3.5 turbo has great exceleration. Ride is comfortable on bumpy roads and handles better than my friend's Tahoe. I have cargo trailers, a pop up camper, a 25 foot sailboat and a larger travel trailer and this beast tows them all well. As good or better than the Ram and the Sierra I previously owned. I think an extended warranty is a good idea and worth the extra money but maintain your vehicle properly, change synthetic oil frequently and your unit will serve you well and comfortably. The Max is a great tow vehicle except full truck and 6300 lb trailer reduces mileage by more than half for me but I average 120 km/h on most road trips. I have a heavy anti sway hitch that I bought for my Sierra but the sway control on my Max w/ tow package is so good I did not even require it for my last trip of 1800 km towing my large trailer.

Last edited:

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks! The 180F thermostat (RT1258) may help for this case. RT1258 is categorized as 190F online, but 82C is clearly printed on the part, which is equal to 180F.
Yep, I have it sitting on the shelf and will do it this fall when my busy schedule slows down.