Fancy!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JessOTR

Reaction score
I thought with all the "problem" threads, maybe a positive report would help us remember why we love these beasts.

I've had my 2021 XLT for a couple of months now. I think it has the 202A package, and captain chairs in the 2nd row. It's already gone to the beach twice and is probably the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned.

Last night my work friends and I went out and I drove a couple of them. 2 separately got into the Expy and said "ooh, fancy!" One started looking in all the hidey holes and wanted to see the big moon roof ("It feels like being in a limo!")

Just thought I'd share a little happy .

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One started looking in all the hidey holes and wanted to see the big moon roof ("It feels like being in a limo!")

Just thought I'd share a little happy .

That's funny because my dad visited last year and we went on two roadtrips, one for my wife's graduation and another to retrieve my daughter from school. He said I drive the Expedition like it's a sports car. Now I refer to it as a sport bus.

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m a huge car guy and have been for nearly 60 years. I’ve owned a lot of nice vehicles such as two Five series BMWs, two Audi A7s and four Lexus. On the sports car side seven Corvettes including an $80k Z06.

From 1988 to 2007 I owned a Suburban, four Tahoes and an Expedition. Fifteen years after the last of those I bought an $85k 2023 Expedition Platinum. Because I keep up with all things vehicle related I knew how expensive they had gotten. But I was just a spectator because I had no idea I would ever buy another, but we decided to buy a travel trailer kind of suddenly.

I bought the top of the line because I’m a top of the line kind of guy. Like Jay Leno says “in for a dime, in for a dollar“. Once I got it and really started driving it more than just the ten minute test drive, I came to appreciate just how well it drives, how quiet it is, and frankly how refined it feels. And yes, being a sports car guy, amazed at how well it handles.

Stsysar

Reaction score
Love the space and comfort. Exactly the reason we bought it to be a family hauler. It is pretty peppy for a vehicle of this size.

Woodwolf

Reaction score
Scared to death now....
After driving fully featured and decked out Nissan Titan's from the day they came on the market, never needed to put a wrench on any of them for any repairs, a guy walked up to me asking if my 14 year old Titan was for sale. He offered cash, way more the I thought the truck was worth, I took it on an instant. Now as chance would have it my daughter in Law pulled up with a 2019 Expedition Platinum Max, as I was pondering what to buy next. I was very impressed with that beautiful comfortable SUV. I am now also own a 2019 white Platinum, fully optioned out and absolutely love it. Then I made the mistake to started checking out youtube and this forum, to learn about this vehicle and I am instantly worried after reading all about cam phaser's and miriate other quirks this vehicle seems to have. I love driving it and admire the beautiful design but hope the gremlins stay away and don't have to meet a mechanic by name.....

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Folks don't often show up here to say nice things about their Expy. Usually something is screwed up and they are looking for info regarding repairing it. Also info so the don't get screwed by a dealer or repair shop.
My Expy has been flawless except for a problem with the nav.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Then I made the mistake to started checking out youtube and this forum, to learn about this vehicle and I am instantly worried after reading all about cam phaser's and miriate other quirks this vehicle seems to have. I love driving it and admire the beautiful design but hope the gremlins stay away and don't have to meet a mechanic by name.....
You can purchase an extended warranty or put extra money aside for repairs.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Scared to death now....
After driving fully featured and decked out Nissan Titan's from the day they came on the market, never needed to put a wrench on any of them for any repairs, a guy walked up to me asking if my 14 year old Titan was for sale. He offered cash, way more the I thought the truck was worth, I took it on an instant. Now as chance would have it my daughter in Law pulled up with a 2019 Expedition Platinum Max, as I was pondering what to buy next. I was very impressed with that beautiful comfortable SUV. I am now also own a 2019 white Platinum, fully optioned out and absolutely love it. Then I made the mistake to started checking out youtube and this forum, to learn about this vehicle and I am instantly worried after reading all about cam phaser's and miriate other quirks this vehicle seems to have. I love driving it and admire the beautiful design but hope the gremlins stay away and don't have to meet a mechanic by name.....
You Tube? Where people get paid for views so the most outlandish stories are posted are NOT where I'd go for pre purchase info. Some of the how to vids are interesting though.
I belong to a bunch of Corvette forums and folks are complaining all the time about this and that. It is the nature of the beast, shit can and does happen with anything. If a very small number of people complaining about problems are what your purchases are based on, buy sneakers. Actually people complain about sneakers as well. Buy what you like, whatever fits your needs and enjoy it, don't be led by the naysayers.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Scared to death now....
I own a 2019 Platinum as well. Most of the issues you read about are because poor maintenance was performed on them. I purchased a certified pre-owned vehicle, from a Ford dealership, with impeccable maintenance records. So at least I started in a good place. One of the most important things about these newer turbo models is they need clean oil. I use nothing but full synthetic and change every 3000 to 5000 miles depending on city vs. highway driving. For example, I just took 2 trips in the last 2 months and racked up 2700 miles. Counting my local driving of another 1500 miles, I'm getting ready to do a full synthetic oil change. It is pretty inexpensive if you do it yourself. My cost with Mobil 1 5W-30 Extended Performance Full Synthetic Motor Oil and Motorcraft FL-500S filter is $50.00 with tax. It takes me about 30 minutes to perform it. I also maintain the cooling system, as overheating a vehicle could be disastrous.
Depending on your mileage, you should have some powertrain warranty left. My Ford Certified Pre-Owned Powertrain Limited Warranty is for 7 years, from original Ford Warranty start date, or 100,000 miles. I have 3 years or 35,000 miles left. It covers most of the expensive repairs with a $100 deductible. When mine runs out I will be purchasing an extended warranty, just to be safe, unless I trade in for a new one.
Just properly maintain your vehicle and enjoy the ride.