Faster you go, the cooler the AC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is help - static pressure let's you know if the system is charged properly. Running pressures after the static pressure is known indicates system efficiency and any component issues.

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hugh, it is possible that it is low on refrigerant. It could also be at the correct charge and have compressor issues. He won't know for sure until he gets the pressure readings - if he does. If it is low then there is a leak, depending on how bad it is a recharge could last a long time or vent in a few minutes.

One of the failure points are the two service ports. I make a habit of changing them when I do any ac work. For around $12 a set it is worth the cost compared to the extra time if they leak after a recharge.

Wait until you run across the new 1234yf refrigerant @$60 per pound. A 10 lb bottle is around $600 vs a 30lb bottle of 134a is @$130. Ouch!

DeathMechanic

Reaction score
I agree with "stamp" on checking the pressures. I have a 2004 that is cooling GREAT at higher engine speeds but, sitting at a stop, it warms up. From past experience I STRONGLY suspect the compressor. If the compressor cycles fast at idle, the freon is probably low (which means you have a leak). Other than that, older compressors just get to where they can't create the pressures at low engine speeds. Just an old Ford tech, with 20 years experience, giving you his two cents. Most people don't have pressure gauges, but you can see if it's cycling fast. The rear A/C sounds like it is the temp blend door actuator.