Favorite After Market Add On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Kjhawkeye1

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Every light in my 2004 is LED, except the turn signals. I've got Weather Tech floor and cargo liners.

But my absolute favorite is my brand new Pioneer stereo, with a back up camera. That makes backing up so much easier!

What camera did you use and how did you run the wire to the head unit? I installed an aftermarket JVC that could have a camera installed but didn't want to drill a hole in anything metal.

OP
OP
Kjhawkeye1

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had powerstop brakes installed today. Lots of deer to jump in front of us and a camper we now pull so wanted a little extra stopping power.

The weather tech mats are a must I agree. Especially with our 5 and 7 year old in the back seat. Yeesh!

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh yeah ... paper maps! ABSOFUKINLUTELY. Learnt that backpacking in the Adirondacks. Electronics break, paper's good if you keep it dry. Those maps have every driveable road (including forest roads) in each state. aka Gazetteteer, Atlas. Battery never goes dead on those, dont need cell phone service. You can spread them out on a table and plan your route much better than a tiny screen. Essential tools. Breakouts for National Parks. Can plan a route across the entire US or Canada when you are thinking at that level. Shows campgrounds and parks and all kinds of useful stuff. Some have topography. And btw furghet those old gas station or AAA foldable maps, more trouble than they are worth. I also have an iPhone and a MOTO and a 6" Garmin (which has preloaded North America map info). I also carry a magnetic compass which I have used at times (have to get out of Expy to work). Only thing I dont have is a SPOT but I might get one. My tracfone cell phones dont work in Canada (and many places in US) so I rely on maps and Garmin for that. I need a backup for my backup contingency. I was thinking I "could do" without everything on my list except the PAPER maps if I had to (to MrBoost's point).

I was <who the hell knows where> in Colorado once in 2015 in my black Expy in late July. It was really hot and the sun is incredibly strong at elevation. Black is a solar oven (thats why I went to white in the 2014). I realized that if the old Gal broke down I would roast and maybe die by the end of the day. So also carry a couple gallons of water and a setup to create some shade if required .... to avoid dying. Try to avoid death. I actually pack enough food for 2 weeks and my supply of emergency stuff is fairly extensive and thought out from things that have (or could have) happened.

I'm a big backpacker/hiker and do carry a paper trail map on occasion if going on a multi-day plus, though they're usefulness is limited in comparison to Gaia or my dedicated handheld GPS. I ditched the paper maps altogether in the truck though as I just don't find them useful at all anymore. To each his own though. :)

Plati

Reaction score
I'm a big backpacker/hiker and do carry a paper trail map on occasion if going on a multi-day plus, though they're usefulness is limited in comparison to Gaia or my dedicated handheld GPS. I ditched the paper maps altogether in the truck though as I just don't find them useful at all anymore. To each his own though. :)
Gaia is great & it's FREE which is always nice. I use it every day now for local hikes to get the GPS track and statistics of the hike. But you also have to preload maps before you go into the backcountry. I never use that for road trips.

Few years ago I dropped down into the US from British Columbia at Roosville. I wanted to get to Polebridge (then Bowman Lake) using Forest Roads from Olney. Google & Apple Maps had me going all the way to Whitefish and back up. I texted a friend in Kalispell what I was doing and then vanished for 10 days in no cell coverage land. This was before I had the Garmin Drivesmart. Was sold on the paper maps in that situation. You can spread the map out and see your whole route in a way you can't do on any screen. When I emerged from the backcountry , my buddy's wife told me he was quite concerned that I was lost in the wild ... easy to get lost back there. On the way out, using the paper map, I saw I could get back to Whitefish Lake directly on Upper Whitefish Rd. That would have been impossible on a cell phone and difficult on a Garmin. I guess its different in the West vs the East. True ... YMMV

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess its different in the West vs the East. True ... YMMV

Absolutely. There are very few areas in the east where you can get truly lost intentionally or unintentionally when in a vehicle. We have, unfortunately, grossly overdeveloped the land. :(

Johnnie Parker

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weather techs are a must and canvasback for the cargo area are a real close second, leds on all 4 corners my next upgrade is led or add on backup lights.

Tjhoward84

Reaction score
#1 Aftermarket mod would be the 2001 Lightning supercharged crate engine that sits under the hood of my Expedition. The 2nd would be the wood grain and leather steering wheel.

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bilstein struts ,auto stop eliminator. 5 star tuner and ceramic window tint. In no particular order. I won't be trading anytime soon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett