Final Wash/Detail Before Winter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got around to a final wash, polish, wax, and general maintenance on the Expy before Winter arrives. We had a fairly warm week, so I decided to get to both of our cars while I had the chance.

Started off with a good wash, followed by Bug and Tar Remover to get the paint nice and clean prior to a polish. After getting the paint completely clean, I used a Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher with Meguiar's Step 2 Polish, followed by their Carnuba Wax. I must say the shine isn't all that different than prior to my full day's work (even though it does reflect a little more), but the color is MUCH deeper, and the finish is buttery smooth.
To follow this up, I removed the wheels and thoroughly cleaned them front and back, properly inflated them (and the spare), then rotated them. While the wheels were off, I made sure the suspension and brakes were all in order.
Now I'm ready for the snow/salt ........not really, but I guess the car is. Here are a few pics of the final product.

th_Craiglist122.jpg
th_Craiglist119.jpg
th_Craiglist124.jpg
th_Craiglist118.jpg
th_Craiglist120.jpg
th_Craiglist121.jpg

Last edited:

Boomer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do the same. Although I use Mothers three step process and pre-clean with the clay bar. Clay bar works great on my black. ( thought I was the only fanatic who cleaned both sides during rotation) Trick I use. To prevent corrosion or rim sticking to the rotor, when rotating I use bearing grease, just a dab on my finger so there is no fly off, on the back side of each rim where is contacts the rotor. Northwest suburb of Chicago, same winters as you.

OP
OP
Stoned06

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use WD40 on the hub and studs prior to reinstalling the wheel, and I have had no problems removing them. Actually, I hadn't removed the wheels for a year, and they didn't stick at all.
Yeah, I am a fanatic about cleaning both side of the wheels. When I do a basic wash of the car, I do my best to get all the grime off the back without removing the wheel. Bust up my knuckles pretty good in the process, but worth it in the end.
Boomer, where in NW Chicago? My wife and I used to work at Abbott Labs 10 yrs ago, and lived in Grayslake/Libertyville for a while.

Boomer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Always WD40 on the studs. Actually I buy Wd40 by the gallon and put it in an aluminum can that I pressurize with my compressor and make my own spray. (Harbor Freight)
Also, mothers "Back to Black" works great on the exterior plastic like the running boards.

Northwest suburb-Arlington Heights.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition