Finally! A Wired audio connection for Ford Rear Entertainment System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well done!!!
Man... The list of things to do while I have the console/dash apart keeps growing... I'm going to have to hit them up and make sure it works on the Navi... Fingers crossed... Thank you for the writeup!!

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sure thing. Hopefully if helps others that have the same disdain for the Bluetooth audio connection from the Ford RES that I do.

Also wish there was a readily accessible video output on the RES as well since Naviks also has a version of the module that adds both audio and video inputs to the factory head unit so front seat passengers could see the movie on the front screen as well. If I end up adding an aftermarket RES to my 2020 F350, I’ll make sure it has a video output for this reason.

Last edited:

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you looked into the video portion?
Does it use the backup input that keeps the parking assist/text etc? On the Navi that input also only uses 3/4 of the screen too so it looks super bootleg if that is how they do it... There are some lazy ass programmers/penny pinchers at Lincoln that didnt want to put in a camera setup that matched the resolution of the screen so that is what we are stuck with.

Which reminds me...
if there is any way to get access to the side mirror camera that would be way more useful than the useless top down view they give us. This is the #1 feature I miss from my wife's 2013 Infiniti. Front wheel saver view. A view that is actually useful at protecting your vehicle from the curb. The rear is covered by the mirror drop in reverse. We are left with nothing up front despite having "360" view.

maxresdefault.jpg

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you look around on Naviks website they have a module that allows a lot of configurations of the various camera views and allows use while in motion. Mirror cameras are one of the options as well. Could see more use on my F350 with all the trailer cameras, etc.

Reaction score
This was a great tutorial! I'm looking to use the same Naviks unit in my 16 max platinum, but using an ipad as the screen. do you think it would work to run the adapter into the head unit replacing the sirius xm slot? I don't use that one, and i wondered if it might eliminate the steering wheel toggle etc.?

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This was a great tutorial! I'm looking to use the same Naviks unit in my 16 max platinum, but using an ipad as the screen. do you think it would work to run the adapter into the head unit replacing the sirius xm slot? I don't use that one, and i wondered if it might eliminate the steering wheel toggle etc.?
The Naviks module is installed inline between the 54 pin factory harness male connector and the 54 pin female connector on the back of the SYNC head unit. The Naviks module has firmware installed to allow it to function as designed. Not familiar with how to repurpose the Sirius input. Would assume it’s part of the 54 pin connector.

Reaction score
The Naviks module is installed inline between the 54 pin factory harness male connector and the 54 pin female connector on the back of the SYNC head unit. The Naviks module has firmware installed to allow it to function as designed. Not familiar with how to repurpose the Sirius input. Would assume it’s part of the 54 pin connector.
Fair enough. That would work just fine. Thanks for your reply

Jay Mac

Reaction score
Voxx International does have an update for RES. Not sure how good it will be in fixing bluetooth delay issues, but I should be able to report back in a week or so. My truck is in the shop and Voxx is mailing my dealer the UBS flash drives today.

Did you get the update from Voxx? Did it solve any issues? Would love some input, thanks.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sure thing. Hopefully if helps others that have the same disdain for the Bluetooth audio connection from the Ford RES that I do.

Also wish there was a readily accessible video output on the RES as well since Naviks also has a version of the module that adds both audio and video inputs to the factory head unit so front seat passengers could see the movie on the front screen as well. If I end up adding an aftermarket RES to my 2020 F350, I’ll make sure it has a video output for this reason.

You beat me to it. That was going to be my next question.
So Naviks makes the same type of harness with audio and video?

What I am looking for is a harness that will do three things (that Ford should have done themselves):
  • Hardwired audio to the Sync3 system.
  • Hardwired video to the front screen (is there an HDMI input on the rear of the Head unit that can accomplish both of these things?)
  • And a motion interlock override to allow access to all of the Sync 3 menu items even while on the highway
Scott, thanks for the write up. This will definitely save me some time!
I’ll probably replace that center channel speaker while I’m in there, and definitely install the autostop defeat.