Finally Hit 6000 Miles and Did the Second Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried really hard to find the link on the F150 Forum regarding the 10k mark with fuel dilution. Honestly I found a lot of information about 6% being the norm for these motors. The DFI pressure is typically mentioned as the cause. I'll keep looking and post it as soon as I find it!
Thanks. I'm going to take if for drive down to Indy tomorrow that's about an hour and a half each way. Although with fresh oil it probably doesn't have any dilution issues right now.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anybody ever use STP oil? I did an oil change today and told myself I was gonna go with a premium oil this time like a RP or Redline. Went to Autozone and they were running a special on STP synthetic. 1 gallon and a filter for $25. I got the gallon and an extra quart and filter for $31. That price is damn hard to beat for synthetic oil so I couldn’t pass it up.

Specs on the oil seemed legit and STP is a well respected brand so I figured what the hell.

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody ever use STP oil? I did an oil change today and told myself I was gonna go with a premium oil this time like a RP or Redline. Went to Autozone and they were running a special on STP synthetic. 1 gallon and a filter for $25. I got the gallon and an extra quart and filter for $31. That price is damn hard to beat for synthetic oil so I couldn’t pass it up.

Specs on the oil seemed legit and STP is a well respected brand so I figured what the hell.
I had the dealer change mine and they used the MotorCraft full synthetic. It probably doesn't matter all new oil meets or exceeds the SAE specs of our trucks.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just redeemed that exact promo last week and dumped 6 quarts of the STP full synthetic in my truck. I’m comfortable doing it especially when I read on here that some people are using walmart synthetic in their trucks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A few things that are important to me and works well on all my vehicles and engines.

1: Always warm up to operating temperature before driving, even the wife and kids do this. I do this with all engines on any equipment. The '16 Expy I wait until the oil temp says "Normal". Remote start is a great feature for this.

2: Oil and filter changes at 3,000. Off road equipment 100 hrs.

3: Castrol GTX dino in everything gas except the '16 gets Motocraft semi-synthetic oil. Diesels Mobil Delvac.

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few things that are important to me and works well on all my vehicles and engines.

1: Always warm up to operating temperature before driving, even the wife and kids do this. I do this with all engines on any equipment. The '16 Expy I wait until the oil temp says "Normal". Remote start is a great feature for this.

2: Oil and filter changes at 3,000. Off road equipment 100 hrs.

3: Castrol GTX dino in everything gas except the '16 gets Motocraft semi-synthetic oil. Diesels Mobil Delvac.
I do pretty much the same thing with the exception, if its mild outside, I start the truck let it idle for about 30 seconds then drive slowly for the next mile or so as I exit the neighborhood. I'm changing oil every 5K miles but I'm using MotorCraft full synthetic.

Plati

Reaction score
I do pretty much the same thing with the exception, if its mild outside, I start the truck let it idle for about 30 seconds then drive slowly for the next mile or so as I exit the neighborhood. I'm changing oil every 5K miles but I'm using MotorCraft full synthetic.
I do the same as Andrew. Warm up for a minute or less .. put it in reverse & back out the driveway then forward and tooling slowly out of the neighborhood. The engine is close to idle while I do that, just barely have foot on gas. Then its 30 mph on the feeder road and transmission gives me the speed not engine RPMs. Its interesting how *on any topic at all* there are strong opinions either side and often direct opposites. I'm not in the engine watching what the oil is doing so I don't really know. Driving will definitely will warm up things faster, I know that. Modern oil maintains viscosity at lower temps better than old days.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a19086/warming-up-your-car-in-the-cold-just-harms-engine/

Last edited:
OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do the same as Andrew. Warm up for a minute or less .. put it in reverse & back out the driveway then forward and tooling slowly out of the neighborhood. The engine is close to idle while I do that, just barely have foot on gas. Then its 30 mph on the feeder road and transmission gives me the speed not engine RPMs. Its interesting how *on any topic at all* there are strong opinions either side and often direct opposites. I'm not in the engine watching what the oil is doing so I don't really know. Driving will definitely will warm up things faster, I know that. Modern oil maintains viscosity at lower temps better than old days.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a19086/warming-up-your-car-in-the-cold-just-harms-engine/
I was always told that bringing your engine up to temp and then driving it was bad for the drive train because it was still cold. I warm up the engine for my comfort, and when it wears out, I'll just buy another one. :)

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If its cold out I'll remote start just to warm the interior. I couldn't imagine letting it sit and idle till the oil got to normal temps as that would take at least 2 or 3 remote cycles to accomplish. When it was in the teens and 20's here I would remote start and let it run for probably 10 minutes so it was warming up so the kids wouldn't be cold on the way to school. School is about a 2 mile round trip so figure 5 minutes drive time 5 minutes sitting in line to drop off then 5 minutes back home. By the time I got back the oil temp would still say low. Ive purposely been taking a longer way home so the oil temp will get up to normal.

I to am in the drive it to warm everything up camp. My routine is after I start it, let the engine idle come down which takes maybe 30sec to a minute then back out and head off. Its perfectly fine to drive it normal from there. If you plan on dogging on it and going WOT at any point in time then Id wait for the oil temps to reach normal first then flog away

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was always told that bringing your engine up to temp and then driving it was bad for the drive train because it was still cold. I warm up the engine for my comfort, and when it wears out, I'll just buy another one. :)
Some habits are hard to drop, this being one of them.

Todays engines do not need a "warm up" time before loading them. The old "warm up" period was geared towards finally being able to open the choke and not killing the engine. We no longer need that...the engine takes care of itself now.

Show of hands....how many folks here have never seen a manual choke knob in a car?

Today, once you see you have oil pressure, you're good to go.