Finally! LED headlights!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Chuck - I have the projectors and have tried the Sylvania Ultra Stars or whatever they are called and they still don't "project" very well.
The SL1 should improve the output. Normally I wouldn't recommended and led but DD has done tons of testing to make sure the bulb distributes light exactly how the oem halogen bulb did so it should be a huge improvement

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is a projector headlight, and how would I know what kind I have?

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone swapped 2015-17 factory projector headlamps (Limited/King Ranch/Platinum) into a 2015-17 XLT? Seems like it would be an easy bolt-in job?

PS I just got a wiring manual for my 2017. Apparently Ford has been selling these trucks in China and those vehicles have some interesting options! For example, the front headlights for Navigators there have "auto leveling motors" and apparently all Chinese market trucks are equipped with *rear* fog lights.

Last edited:

jkayca

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rear fog light is for the guy behind to see you. It's actually common in Europe up in the Alps.

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone swapped 2015-17 factory projector headlamps (Limited/King Ranch/Platinum) into a 2015-17 XLT? Seems like it would be an easy bolt-in job?

It’s not quite plug and play. The projectors and reflectors actually use different bulbs in the high/low spots. I believe the projectors are H9 high/9005 low; the reflectors are 9005 high/H11 low. The connectors are different, so it’s not as easy as plugging in the different lights either.
Physically, they are the same. I upgraded to HID projectors retrofitted into factory halogen projectors lights last year. They bolted right in to my XLT. 9CEE0E80-6E9B-46AD-A965-DB062FB0C6FC.jpeg

If you’re willing, swapping the wiring from one connector to the other wouldn’t be difficult.

@J Ski I'm really curious to see how they compare to halogens in the projectors. When you get them, will you swap one and do an on-wall comparison of output?

star-art

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you for that! Very good info. I've done headlight harness upgrades in the past so if I do this I'll make a new wire harness and wire them directly to the battery via a relay for maximum voltage to each lamp. That way, getting the proper connectors wouldn't be a problem. The factory harness would simply be unplugged and left as-is.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Automatic headlight leveling and rear fog light(s) are mandatory in the UK and the parts of the EU I've driven in the past few years, The rear fog light would be annoying here as suburban housewives run the fog lights every time it gets dark and the rear fog light is bright and low. Works wonderfully spotting the car in front in the fog but we use our fog lights as styling items, not light. :)

-- Chuck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1